Why choose Theological Studies?
We attract practicing Christians, non-theists, searchers seeking new horizons, or traditionalists studying cultural heritage. By interacting with other belief systems and staying open to diverse interpretations of the Bible, you’ll reflect on your own beliefs and deepen your intellectual understanding of religion.
Theological Studies gives you the tools to have an informed discussion about God, and to address the 21st century challenges transforming religious faith. You learn creative scholarly methods to examine classical and contemporary theology historically, philosophically, and scripturally. Theology will intersect with the social sciences and other humanist disciplines. You’ll pursue your own theological quest and goals through six areas within Theological Studies:
- Biblical studies
- History of Christianity
- Christian ethics
- Systematic theology
- Church and state relations
Our program gives you concrete tools and skills to engage in many different professions: teaching, research, pastoral ministry, government, or non-government positions. It also opens doors to graduate studies.
A Bachelor of Arts degree takes a minimum of three or four years (90 – 120 credits) of full-time study, depending on your academic background.
- Honours in Theological Studies (60 credits)
- Major in Theological Studies (42 credits)
- Minor in Theological Studies (24 credits)
- Certificate in Pastoral Ministry (30 credits)
No specific courses are required beyond the DEC
Applicants to the certificate in Pastoral Ministry must submit a letter of intent to the Department of Theological Studies:
Department of Theological Studies
1455 De Maisonneuve Blvd. W. (D 103)
Montreal, Quebec H3G 1M8
Tel: 514-848-2424, ext. 2475
Minimum Cut-off Averages
(Minimum Cut-off Averages should be used as indicators. Data may change depending on the quality of the application pool.)
- Quebec Cegep (CRC): DEC (Honours: 28.000)
- Canadian High Schools: The Faculty of Arts and Science prefers students for these programs to have a 70% average and above, however, based on space availability, students below this average may still be considered. Admission is not guaranteed. (Honours: 85%)
- U.S. High Schools: 2.5 (Honours: 3.3)
- External Transfers: C (Honours: B+)
- International Bacc. (IB): 27 (Honours: 33)
- Bacc. Français: 11/20 (Honours: 14/20)
Make sure you also meet Concordia’s minimum admission requirements.
Our program opens up many careers paths, including:
- Pastoral ministry
- Religious education
- Liberal arts teaching/administration
- Non-therapeutic counseling
- Ethical consulting