The granting of a University charter in 1948 was a major event for SGW and for a few years SGW students celebrated with an annual Charter Dance. Photo: David Stanger Fonds, P017-02-354
Concordia's Charter turns 70
On March 11, 1948, Sir George Williams College, one of Concordia's founding institutions, officially obtained its university charter although it had been granting degrees since 1936-37. SGW celebrated its charter with great jubilation because it enhanced the recognition and prestige of both the college and the degrees of its students. The recognition and financial assistance that came out of this led to further expansion. In 1959, the College requested that the Provincial Legislature amend its University Charter, changing its name to Sir George Williams University.
On August 10, 1973 the Corporation of Sir George Williams University adopted Special By Law "C" which enacted a change of name to Concordia University - Université Concordia. It is interesting to note that the charter conferred in 1948 is the same charter under which the Concordia University degrees are conferred today.
IN AUGUST 1974 SIR GEORGE WILLIAMS UNIVERSITY AND LOYOLA COLLEGE MERGED TO FORM CONCORDIA UNIVERSITY.
When Sir George Williams College officially obtained its university charter, a celebration took place. In the audio excerpt presented here, you can hear J.W. Beaton, who was, at the time, the General Secretary of the YMCA of Montreal, tell the story of how the evening course program came into existence. This program eventually became Sir George Williams College in 1926.