On November 15, 1937 the Board of Governors of Sir George Williams College considered a coat of arms and colours for the university. At the meeting of December 13, 1937 the Board approved a coat of arms based upon the original coat of arms of Sir George Williams, the founder of the YMCA. The description in heraldic terms was:
Gules, a dove, wings elevated or, encircled around the breast with an olive branch proper, a chief or, thereon an open book or on a triangle gules between two roses of the field, barbed and seeded of the third.
The book represents education, the triangle was symbolic of the YMCA concern with the whole personality - body, mind, and spirit. The rose is the heraldic symbol of the seventh son.
At that meeting the Board also approved a change in the colours of the College from Cambridge blue and white to gold and maroon.
In 1962 Sir George Williams University applied to the College of Arms for the right to bear arms officially and to have proper arms assigned to it.
On December 3, 1964 the College of Arms ascribed official arms to SGWU and gave it the legal right to bear them. The heraldic description was:
Murrey a Dove wings addorsed Or about the neck a wreath of Olive proper and charged on the wing with a Maple leaf Murrey. On a chief Or between two Roses Murrey barbed and seeded proper an inverted triangle Murrey surmounted by an open book Proper edged Or bound Azure.
Crest: on a wreath of the colours A Dove as in the Arms
Mantling: Murrey and Or