Concordia University

Academic visitors

Each year, Concordia welcomes a number of academic visitors from around the world to its campus. "Academic visitor" refers to an individual who is not a registered Concordia student or postdoctoral fellow or who does not hold an academic or research appointment covered by the provisions of a collective agreement. There are generally two types of Academic Visitors at Concordia:

  • "Visiting Scholars" are faculty members and research fellows at other institutions who are invited to campus by a Concordia faculty member to conduct collaborative research activities.
  • "Research Interns" are undergraduate or graduate students who are invited to campus by a Concordia faculty member to conduct collaborative research activities.

Activities academic visitors conduct on campus include:

  • Research in collaboration with Concordia faculty
  • Short-term teaching, seminars, lectures, or panels
  • Exhibitions and performances
  • Evaluators for graduate theses, examinations, performances, exhibitions

Coming to Concordia as an Academic Visitor

  • In accordance with the Policy on Academic Visitors (VPRGS-10), perspective Academic Visitors to Concordia should follow the steps described on this page.
  • First, a Concordia professor must agree to host you on campus for a specific project and set period of time AND be willing to obtain the necessary approval from her or his department in order for you to be issued an official Letter of Invitation to Concordia.  In addition, she or he must also be willing to pay a new $230 CIC compliance fee and submit the corresponding CIC paperwork on your behalf. 
    • If you are unfamiliar with Concordia, the following list of academic units and departments and website for exploring research at Concordia is a good starting point for identifying Concordia professors whose fields of expertise correspond to yours. Please be advised, however, that Concordia professors are not obliged to host academic visitors and Concordia International cannot find a professor to invite you to campus for you.
  • In order for a professor to invite you to campus, she or he will need the following information from you.  We advise that you supply this information to the professor at least four months before your expected arrival date in Canada.  
    • Section 1 of the Academic Visitor Request Form completed.
    • A letter from your home institution indication your affiliation/status there.
    • A copy of your curriculum vitae.
    • A photocopy of your passport page showing personal information (photo, name, date of birth, etc.) if you are not a Canadian citizen or other similar identification document if you are Canadian.
    • If you are a Canadian permanent resident, please also include a copy of your permanent resident card. 
    • If you already hold an open temporary work permit authorizing you to work anywhere in Canada for the duration of your visit, please include a copy.
  • If the request is approved by the University, you will receive an official Letter of Invitation (LOI), an Acceptance Form and CIC immigration documents for you to apply for a Temporary Work Permit.
  • Sign and return the Acceptance Form as instructed on and use the other document to begin applying for a Temporary Work Permit. 

Pre-departure information

  • Immigration: If you are not a Canadian citizen, permanent resident or do not hold an open work permit for the duration of your visit, then you are responsible for obtaining any and all immigration documents required for you to enter Canada and conduct your research project at Concordia.
  • You are responsible for informing yourself of CIC requirements for applying for any travel documents you might need.  In accordance with current CIC regulations, Concordia cannot guide you through the process, answer questions about CIC requirements or instruct you how to fill out CIC forms.  
  • Insurance: CIC will require you to obtain a Canadian health insurance policy for the duration of your stay in Canada. Health insurance policies vary in coverage and price, but the insurance you choose should cover at least 80% of any medical treatment you receive. You should also take any personal health condition in consideration when selecting a policy. In addition to health insurance, you are also responsible for making sure make sure you have appropriate travel, repatriation, emergency medical evacuation, liability and any other type of insurance you may deem necessary.  Many companies sell insurance policies in Québec. You are encouraged to do as much research as you can, but here are a few to help get you started:
  • Make an appointment with your supervising professor: Once you know when you will be arriving, you should contact your supervising professor to schedule an appointment to meet her or him, visit the location where you will be conducting your research internship and coordinate any other remaining details.

Arrival information

  • Finding Accommodations in Montreal:  Academic visitors to Concordia are responsible for securing their own accommodations while here. 
    • If you are coming during the summer months, you may request on-campus accommodations, for more information please contact Summer accomodations. Throughout the rest of the year, you will have to search and secure your own apartment or other accommodations. 
    • Luckily, finding accommodations in Montreal is relatively easy and inexpensive when compared to other major North American cities. To get started on finding out how to search for an apartment in Montreal, please visit Concordia’s page on off-campus housing.

  • Your status at Concordia: As an academic visitor at Concordia, you will be considered as a visitor. You will not be able to register for courses at Concordia as an academic visitor and will not have access to the same types of services offered to registered, tuition-paying Concordia students will not be eligible for reduced fares on the subway and bus systems.

  • University Identification: As soon as you arrive, you should obtain a Concordia University I.D. It will give you access to certain parts of the campus that require it, such as the library and the shuttle bus. To obtain an I.D., please take your Letter of Invitation, Passport, Work Permit and address in Montreal to Human Resources (SGW FB-1130/1250, rue Guy) between 9 a.m. and 5 p.m. from Monday through Friday.

Contact Information

Ms. Cristiana Voiculescu
Coordinator, International Academic Visitors and Faculty Affairs
Office of the Provost and Vice-President, Academic Affairs

Concordia faculty members

Concordia faculty can find information on how to invite a visiting scholar on Cspace (login required). 

Back to top

© Concordia University