Why study biology?
Get inspired by life. Immerse yourself in the study of life at all levels: from the edge of biochemistry through cell biology and the physiology of multicellular organisms to the interactions between organisms and their environment. Build a strong basis in the essentials, then choose the right topics for your chosen path.
Concordia's Biology department features teaching labs with state-of-the-art equipment that introduce you to the various techniques used in biology research. Small class sizes foster strong student-professor relationships. As a biology student, you'll follow the biology core curriculum and additional biology courses based on your interest. Through labs, lectures and tutorials you will:
- Study genes and how they control cellular and organismal function
- Addresses fundamental and applied research problems
- Study the chemical and cellular basis of living systems
- Explore the evolution, biodiversity and ecology of organisms and their physiology and morphology
- Receive extensive training in research methodology
- Perform original research as an undergraduate (honours and specialization students only)
Concordia’s hands-on approach provides a solid foundation for a career in the life sciences or environmental sciences, or paves the way for future graduate studies.
A Bachelor of Science degree takes a minimum of three or four years (90 – 120 credits) of full-time study, depending on your academic background.
- Honours in Biology (72 credits)
- Specialization in Biology (60 credits)
- Major in Biology (45 credits)
- Minor in Biology (24 credits)
- Mathematics 103 or 201-NYA and 203 or 201-NYB;
Physics 101 or 203-NYA and 201 or 203-NYB and 301 or 203-NYC
Chemistry 101 or 202-NYA and 201 or 202-NYB;
Biology 301 or 101-NYA;
- Natural Science DEC
- A DEC intégré en sciences, lettres et arts
Minimum Cut-off Averages
(Minimum Cut-off Averages should be used as indicators. Data may change depending on the quality of the application pool.)
- Quebec Cegep (CRC): 23.000 (Honours: 28.000)
- Canadian High Schools: 75% (Honours: 85%)
- U.S. High Schools: 2.8 (Honours: 3.3)
- External Transfers: C+ (Honours: B+)
- International Bacc. (IB): 28 (Honours: 33)
- Bacc. Français: 11/20 (Honours: 14/20)
Science programs require completion of Série S (Sciences) Bacc. Français.
Biology undergraduates have the foundation to purse graduate studies or medicine. Biology alumni have established careers in a variety of science fields that include:
- Environmental management
- Science educators