Business Administration (Grad. Cert.)
Graduate Certificate (Grad. Cert.)Offered by:
John Molson School of Business
Why pursue a Graduate Certificate in Business Administration?
The Graduate Diploma in Business Administration (30 credits) and the Graduate Certificate in Business Administration (15 credits) provide students with core knowledge and sound grounding in business administration theory and practice. Through the GDBA and GCBA, students acquire a set of basic competencies required for careers in all types of organizations, in either business or social sectors. More specifically, graduates will be able to:
- understand an organization’s social, economic and business environments
- understand financial and non-financial performance data in decision-making
- communicate effectively within an organizational context
- interact effectively with peers
- apply relevant managerial knowledge to the analysis of organizational issues or problems
The John Molson School of Business (JMSB) is one of Canada’s most highly respected business schools. It is one of only 17 institutions in the country that is accredited by the Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business (AACSB), the world’s premier business school accrediting body. This prestigious designation ensures adherence to rigorous academic standards and reflects the outstanding quality of JMSB teaching and research programs.
The JMSB offers both MBA and non-MBA graduate programs that provide a stimulating, practical and flexible approach to management education.
Its Master of Business Administration (MBA) programs are
Its non-MBA graduate programs are
- Master of Science (MSc) in Administration
- Doctor of Philosophy (PhD) in Business Administration
- Diploma in Chartered Professional Accountancy (CPA)
- Graduate Diploma in Business Administration
All graduate programs are highly rated, both nationally and internationally.
- The MBA program takes a hands-on approach to business education with a curriculum that emphasizes the use of timely case studies. Its multidisciplinary, cross-cultural mind set attracts students from across the country and around the world. It is ranked 78th in the world by The Economist.
- The EMBA program was ranked 47th in the world (second among Canadian programs) by The Economist in 2013.
- The MBA with Complete CFA® Integration is the only degree program in the world to incorporate Chartered Financial Analyst® (CFA) designation requirements in its curriculum.
- The MSc in Administration develops industry specialists whose employability improves significantly upon graduation.
- The PhD in Business Administration is a joint degree program with other Montreal universities that truly reflects a multilingual and multicultural constituency and the demands of a global economy.
JMSB programs provide an intellectually challenging environment for academically accomplished students who want to develop both general and specialized management skills. JMSB faculty members are deeply committed to academic excellence, ground breaking research and student support. They understand current business issues and market trends. They bring a wealth of teaching and industry experience to the classroom. Students benefit from small class sizes and the individualized feedback and one-on-one attention of professors. Their learning experiences are also enriched by the different perspectives of a diverse student body and outstanding resources and research facilities.
JMSB internationally acclaimed research centres and laboratories, include
- Centre for Multidisciplinary Behavioural Business Research (CMBBR)
- Centre for Small Business and Entrepreneurial Studies (CSBES)
- CN Centre for Studies in Sustainable Supply Chain Management
- CPA Research Centre in Accountability
- David O’Brien Centre for Sustainable Enterprise (DOCSE)
- Desjardins Centre for Innovation in Business Finance
- Institute for Community Entrepreneurship and Development
- Institute for Governance of Private and Public Organizations
- Interneg Research Centre
- Laboratory for Sensory Research
- Luc Beauregard Centre of Excellence in Communications Research
Students gain research experience by working closely with faculty members on various projects. They learn how to apply advanced theories and techniques to modern business issues. They graduate with the theoretical knowledge and solid understanding of administrative practices that prepares them for successful careers in management or in academia as professors or researchers.
During their studies, students develop personal relationships and professional connections that they continue to nurture long after graduation. The JMSB alumni network of nearly 40,000 graduates includes many who have assumed leadership positions in Global Fortune 500 companies and with national and international organizations. Their accomplishments add distinction to the Faculty and to the intrinsic value of a JMSB graduate degree.
The MSc program provides excellent preparation for students interested in advanced research who wish to pursue Doctoral studies and a career as a business professor or consultant. MSc students have the benefit of choosing between three principle topic areas of study:
- Finance attracts students with strong quantitative and analytical skills who wish to enhance their understanding of economic and financial theory, as well as research methodology. Graduates apply this knowledge to build successful careers in research and analysis in the private and public sectors
- Management focuses on human resources and strategic organizational issues. It appeals to students with scholarly interests in personnel management and industrial and organizational psychology. Graduates are prepared for managerial positions in human resources and skills development or to work as consultants.
- Marketing is designed for students who want a theoretical base and indepthin-depth understanding of the tools and methods used to conduct and manage advanced marketing projects. Graduates pursue careers as marketing specialists in such fields as brand management, new product development, communications and consumer research. Students gain research experience by working closely with faculty members on various projects. They learn how to apply advanced theories and techniques to modern business issues. They graduate with the theoretical knowledge and solid understanding of administrative practices that prepares them for successful careers in management or in academia as professors or researchers.
Requirements for the Certificate
- Credits. The program consists of five courses (total 15 credits).
- Courses. All students are required to complete five courses (15 credits). GDBA 530 and GDBA 531 must be taken as the first two courses in the program. Students who have successfully completed a statistics course in a previous program with a minimum grade of “B” may be exempt from taking GDBA 530 with the permission of the Program Director. In this case, the course must be substituted with an elective.
- Time Limit. In accordance with university policy, all work for a certificate program must be completed within 6 terms (2 years) from the time of initial registration in the program for full-time students and within 12 terms (4 years) for part-time students.
Applicants must possess a Bachelor’s degree with a minimum cumulative grade point average of 2.70 on a scale of 4.30, or equivalent. Applicants are also required to submit a Statement of Purpose and two letters of recommendation.