The Concordia Student Union's Off-Campus Housing and Job Bank (HoJo) is a good place to start searching for off-campus housing. You must prove you are an undergraduate student to have full access to the website.
HoJo also offers a variety of resources to help you with off-campus apartment hunting:
- Legal information, handouts and referral (not advice)
- Workshops on your rights as a tenant and worker
- A place to conduct your job/housing search (free phone, internet, newspaper classifieds, maps)
- Roommate conflict prevention (tips, accounting software, etc.)
- Safety resources (apartment checklist, workshops, etc.)
- Online Classified ads: (jobs, internships, volunteer positions, roommate profiles, books/furniture for sale)
Apartment hunting tips
- Find out if major appliances are included, such as refrigerator and stove, or if you will have to find your own.
- Apartment sizes come in the following:
- a 1½ is a large room with kitchenette and bathroom;
- a 2½ is larger, or has a double room or is L-shaped;
- a 3½ has a separate bedroom, living room, kitchen and bathroom;
- a 4½ has two bedrooms, a living room, kitchen and bathroom;
- a 5½ usually has three bedrooms, and so on.
- Find out whether heating is included. If not, plan for winter costs.