Louis Bherer, PhD
Scientific Director and Chair in Preventive Health Science Research PERFORM Centre
Chercheur au centre de recherche de l'institut universitaire de gériatrie de Montréal, Select One
PhD (Université de Montréal)
Bherer's research study the effect of cognitive stimulation and physical activity on cognitive decline associated with aging and chronic disease. Normal aging is often accompanied by declines in brain function that can harm the quality of life of seniors. However, not all people are affected in the same way and not all brain functions decline at the same speed. Louis Bherer and his team want to improve understanding of why and how intellectual stimulation and physical activity can help seniors maintain better brain functioning. He's also exploring whether these benefits are long lasting and are similar for seniors of all ages, sexes and health conditions.
- Bherer, L. (2012) Physical exercise in older adults. In Alcavado Ed. The Oxford Handbook of exercise psychology.
- Predovan, D., Fraser, S. A., Renaud, M., & Bherer, L. (accepted). The effect of three months of aerobic training on Stroop performance in older adults. Journal of Aging Research. Special Issue: Physical Exercise and Brain Functions in Older Adults.
- Labelle V, Bosquet L, Mekary S, Bherer L.(2013). Decline in executive control during acute bouts of exercise as a function of exercise intensity and fitness level. Brain Cogn. 2013 Feb;81(1):10-7. doi: 10.1016/j.bandc.2012.10.001.
- Laguë-Beauvais M, Brunet J, Gagnon L, Lesage F, Bherer L.(2013). A fNIRS investigation of switching and inhibition during the modified Stroop task in younger and older adults. Neuroimage. 2013 Jan 1;64:485-95. doi: 10.1016/j.neuroimage.2012.09.042.
- Gagnon C., Desjardins-Crépeau, L., Tournier, I., Desjardins, M., Lesage F., Greenwood, C. E.& Bherer, L. (2012). Near-infrared imaging of the effects of glucose ingestion and regulation on prefrontal activation during dual-task execution in healthy fasting older adults. Behavioral Brain Research, 232.
- Lussier, M., Gagnon, C., Bherer, L. (2012) An investigation of response and stimulus modality transfer effects after dual-task training in younger and older adults. Frontiers in Human Neurosciences, (6):129.
- other publications on PubMed