MBA (Investment Management Option)
Master of Business Administration (MBA), Master of Investment Management (MIM)Offered by:
John Molson School of Business
Why pursue an MBA with Complete CFA® Integration?
Financial service experts understand that in order to succeed in the investment management industry, obtaining the Chartered Financial Analyst (CFA) designation is a must. By combining the CFA credential with an MBA focused on a comprehensive business education, candidates are setting themselves up for highly successful careers as corporate leaders. We need scholars and financial professionals with strong academic backgrounds to investigate the realities of investor psychology and financial markets in order to better assist clients achieve their investment objectives.
The MBA with Complete CFA Integration provides you with an opportunity to pursue two world-recognized designations simultaneously. Courses are offered in Toronto and Montreal, giving you the benefits of a full-time program with the flexibility of a part-time schedule. This structure allows 70 per cent of our cohort to work while they study, allowing them to continue to accumulate the four years of work experience required to earn the CFA charter.
Our program is partnered with the CFA Institute, enabling you to take advantage of the latest material the global association has to offer. Along with faculty members that are at the forefront of academic research and investment management practices, our curriculum ensures that students have pass rates that often double the worldwide average.
Requirements for the Degree and Program Procedures
To earn the Master of Business Administration (Investment Management option) degree from Concordia University, the student must successfully complete 57 credits and must pass Level I of the CFA® exams. Students are expected to complete the degree in no more than five years from the year of initial registration in the program.
- Academic Standing. Please refer to the Academic Standing section of the Calendar for a detailed review of the Academic Regulations.
- Residence. The minimum residence requirement for the master’s degree is 3 terms (one year) of full-time study.
- Time Limit. Please refer to the Academic Regulation page for further details regarding the Time Limit requirements.
- Graduation Requirement. In order to graduate, students in the GIIM MBA program must have a cumulative GPA of 3.00 and must successfully complete Level I of the CFA® examinations.
Please consult the graduate calendar for complete details.
Admission requirements summary:
- An undergraduate degree (GPA 3.0/4.3 or higher, or equivalent)
Total education should equal 16 years, including the bachelor’s degree accepted as equivalent by the Council for Graduate Studies. See a listing of international equivalencies.
- A Graduate Management Admissions Test (GMAT)* score of 550 or higher
*GMAT is waived for candidates who have passed the CFA Level 1 exam
- Minimum English Proficiency Score
- TOEFL iBT overall score 95 and no part under 20
- IELTS (Academic) overall band score 7.0 and no part under 6.5
Note: there is no minimum work experience requirement
- Application form: A completed electronic application form must be submitted. Payment of a $100 CDN non-refundable application fee payable by VISA or MasterCard, must be received before your file can be reviewed. We welcome you to consult How to apply online to prepare you for a smoother application process. Please note: when completing the application, the program name under "academic program" is "MBA", and the "academic plan" is "Master of Business Administration Investment Management – Montreal" or "Master of Business Administration Investment Management – Toronto".
- Bachelor’s degree: An undergraduate degree, preferably in business (GPA 3.0/4.3 or higher, or equivalent) is required. Official transcripts must be sent directly to the Admission Application Centre. All transcripts should be in the original language. If you submit certificates in a language other than English or French, you must submit a copy translated into either English or French by a certified translator.
- GMAT results: Generally, we look for an overall score of 550 or higher. Test results must be sent directly to the Admissions Application Centre from the examination board. Results more than five years old will not be accepted. Our institution code for the GMAT is 93H-0N-73, please go to MBA.com for details.
Exemption: GMAT is not necessary for admission if one passes CFA® level I exam.
- English Proficiency: Applicants whose primary language is not English and who do not meet one of the proofs of proficiency listed below must write an English proficiency test, regardless of their citizenship.
- Quebec applicants who have completed a Diploma of Collegial Studies (DEC) and a university degree in Quebec;
- A minimum of three full years of study either at the undergraduate or graduate level in an institution where the sole language of instruction is English.
- Statement of Purpose: Applicants must provide a Statement of Purpose indicating their reason for choosing the MBA/CFA, their career goals, and how the program will contribute to achieving those goals. Applicants must include personal commentary regarding their knowledge of the CFA Program and discussion of their ability and commitment to devote sufficient time to their academic studies. Statement of Purpose should be approximately 500 words in length.
- Two Reference Letters: These letters, from academic or professional contacts, must confirm your ability to handle graduate level studies. A suitable referee is an individual who is well acquired with your education and abilities, e.g. your former professors or your employers. Please note, academic referees also need to do an Academic Assessment Form in additions to the reference letter.
- Proof of citizenship: Canadian citizens and permanent residents, a copy of both sides of your Canadian citizenship card, permanent residence paper (IMM-1000) or permanent resident card is required. International applicants will be required to submit a Study Permit and CAQ only after they have received an offer of admission.
|Investment Management||MBA||July 15*
March 1* (int.)
|*Applications will be considered as long as space is available.|