Master of Science in Management (MSc)Offered by:
John Molson School of Business
The Master of Science in Management (MSc) is a research-based Master’s degree program. The program is designed for students who wish to enhance their research expertise in the areas of human resources and strategic management. The curriculum focuses on developing knowledge about current management theories and skills in the tools and methods used to conduct advanced research in an organizational setting. The research expertise available at JMSB ensures that MSc students can work closely with a faculty member in developing their thesis in an area they are passionate about. Develop advanced analytical and technical skills valued by employers, get industry experience through the co-op program, and engage with your peers in small classes.
The MSc program provides excellent preparation for students interested in advanced research who wish to pursue Doctoral studies and a career as a business professor or consultant. The MSc thesis is a major empirical research project that allows students to focus on a specific topic of particular interest and publish their results. Students are encouraged to select a topic addressing a contemporary business problem and apply technical and analytical skills to propose relevant solutions
Business majors and those who have majored in psychology, sociology, economics and other non-business areas are welcome to apply.
The MSc program is a 45-credit program offered on a full-time or part-time basis.
- Bachelor's degree with high academic standing serves as a prerequisite for the program. To be eligible for admission, applicants must have maintained at least a B average in their final two years and have obtained a Grade Point Average (GPA) of at least 3.00 on a 4.30 scale, or the equivalent, from an accredited university.
- Applicants must submit proof of satisfactory performance on the Graduate Management Admission Test (GMAT) or the Graduate Record Examination (GRE) completed within the previous five years, three letters of recommendation with the Academic Assessment forms, and a short statement of purpose. (Please note that the GMAT is preferred to the GRE).
- Proficiency in English. Applicants whose primary language is not English must demonstrate that their knowledge of English is sufficient to pursue graduate studies in their chosen field. Please refer to the Graduate Admission page for further information on the Language Proficiency requirements and exemptions.
Fully-qualified candidates are required to complete a minimum of 45 credits.
6 credits – Required Courses
MSCA 602 - Applied Linear Statistical Models (3 credits)
MSCA 615 - Research Methodology - Administrative Sciences (3 credits)
18 credits – Management Seminars
Upon approval of the Department MSc Management Advisor and the instructor, up to nine credits may include the following:
- Seminars in any other JMSB MSc program;
- PhD seminar in Management (ADMI 810-819 and ADMI 850-859).
- Cognate graduate seminars offered by other departments within the university.
21 credits – Thesis
MSCA 699 - Research Thesis (21 credits)