Nelson Henricks, BFA
Part-time Instructor, Intermedia (Video, Performance and Electronic Arts)
Nelson Henricks is a graduate of the Alberta College of Art (1986). He moved to Montréal in 1991, where he received a BFA from Concordia University (1994). Henricks lives and works in Montréal, where he has taught art history and video production at Concordia University, McGill University, UQAM and Université de Montréal. A musician, writer, curator and artist, Henricks is best known for his videotapes and video installations, which have been exhibited worldwide. A focus on his video work was presented at the Museum of Modern Art in New York, as part of the Video Viewpoints series in 2000. His writings have been published in exhibition catalogues, magazines, and in several anthologies Henricks was the recipient of the Bell Canada Award in Video Art in 2002 and received the Board of Govenors' Alumni Award of Excellence from the Alberta College of Art and Design in 2005. A mid-career retrospective of his work was presented at the Leonard and Bina Ellen Gallery in Montréal in 2010. His was work was presented at the Musée d'art contemporain de Montréal in 2011 as part of the Québec Triennal. Henricks is currently completing a PhD at Université du Québec à Montréal.
Areas of expertise
Video, installation, audio, photography, drawing
BFA Concordia University, 1994
- Henricks, Nelson & Reinke, S. By the Skin of Their Tongues, YYZ Books, Toronto, Ontario, 1997.
- Henricks, Nelson. Cigarettes, Coffee and Dep Wine, FUSE Magazine, Volume 21, Number 3. Summer 1998, pp. 17-23.
- Henricks, Nelson. 4 Zones of Emergence and Cane Capovolto: An Introduction to the Group, TRANZ <—> TECH: Toronto International Video Art Biennal, Trinity Square Video/V Tape/Pleasure Dome/VVV, 1999. pp 13-17.
- Henricks, Nelson. 4 Zones of Emergence, text accompanying exhibition Zones d’emergence, Perte de Signal, 1999.
- Henricks, Nelson. Canadian Fall, text accompanying exhibition Canadian Fall exhibition, organized by the Glasgow Film and Video Workshop, Fall, 1999.
- Henricks, Nelson. 4 texts about light, PUBLIC 18, Public Access, Toronto, 1999. pp. 143-146.
- Henricks, Nelson. American Psycho(drama): Sigmund Freud vs. Henry Ford, from LUX: A Decade of Artists’ Film and Video, edited by Steve Reinke and Tom Taylor, Toronto: YYZ Books, 2000. pp. 45-54.
- Henricks, Nelson. Life in Music, from COIL 9/10 London: Proboscis, 2000.
- Henricks, Nelson. Les vrais mensonges ou l’importance d’être Colin from ESSE Arts Opinions, Montréal: Esse, Numéro 46, automne 2002. pp. 32-40.
- Henricks, Nelson. Words/Without Words, text accompanying Words/Without Words program, InVideo 2002, Milan: A G Edizioni, 2002.
- Henricks, Nelson. Tom Sherman: Before and After the I-Bomb, review published in Parachute 109, Montréal: Parachute, January-March 2003. pp. 140-141.
- Henricks, Nelson. Colleen Gray: Gray Matter, from Caught in the Act: An Anthology of Performance Art by Canadian Women, edited by Tanya Mars and Johanna Householder, Toronto: YYZ Books, 2004. pp. 250-250.
- Henricks, Nelson. Shari Hatt: Dogs, catalogue essay for Shari Hatt: Dogs, Lethbridge: Southern Alberta Art Gallery, 2004. pp. 10-61.
- Henricks, Nelson. The Hunter Gets Captured By the Game, from Ironic to Iconic: The Performance Works of Tanya Mars, Toronto: Fado Performance Inc., 2008. pp. 183-186.
- Henricks, Nelson. Perte de Signal: An Introduction to the Group, from Perte de Signal: Ten Years of Digital Creation, Montréal: Perte de Signal, 2008. pp. 94-106.
- Henricks, Nelson. Steve Reinke – The Hundred Videos, from SWITCH, Toronto: The Power Plant, Issue 3, Spring, 2010. pp. 44-45.