Dr. Zhibin Ye, PhD, PEng, FRSC (UK)
Professor, Chemical and Materials Engineering
PhD (2004), Chemical Engineering, McMaster University (Hamilton, Canada)
MEng (1999), Chemical Engineering, Zhejiang University (Hangzhou, China)
BEng (1996), Chemical Engineering, Zhejiang University (Hangzhou, China)
Professor (since 2017), Department of Chemical and Materials Engineering, Concordia University
Canada Research Chair (2011-2017), Professor (2012-2017), Associate Professor (2009-2012), Assistant Professor (2004-2009) Bharti School of Engineering, Laurentian University
- Inducted into Concordia Provost's Circle of Distinction (2018)
- Canadian Catalysis Lectureship Award (2018, Chemical Institute of Canada Catalysis Division)
- Fellow of Royal Society of Chemistry (UK, 2016)
- NSERC Discovery Accelerator Supplement (2015)
- Canada Research Chair in Polymer Nanomaterials (2011-2020)
- Ontario Premier's Early Researcher Award (2007)
- Laurentian University Faculty of Science & Engineering Research Excellence Award (2011)
ENGR 251 W Thermodynamics I
ENGR 291 P Topics in Engineering - Polymer Chemistry & Engineering
Research Funding (over $3.6M external funding secured as PI since 2005)
NSERC: 3 Discovery, 4 CRD, 4 RTI, 1 Strategic, 1 DAS, 3 ngage, 1 Engage Plus, and 1 I2I Grants;
CFI: 1 On-going NOF and 3 LOF grants;
Canada Research Chair: 2 five-year terms (2011 - 2020) with 2nd term (2016-2020) renewed in April 2015;
Provincial Funding: 1 Early Researcher Award, 4 ORF grants, 2 Postdoctoral Fellowships, 1 Research Internship, and 3 OCE Collaborative Project grants from Ontario Government;
Industry Funding: from companies including Imperial Oil, Barrick Gold Corporation, Goldcorp, etc.
Concordia Funding: 1 Horizon Postdoctoral Fellowship Grant
Referred Journal Papers
For a complete updated list, visit my google scholar page https://scholar.google.ca/citations?user=242WM0IAAAAJ
- V. K. Tiwari, Z. Chen, F. Gao, Z. Gu, X. Sun, Z. Ye*, “Synthesis of ultra-small carbon nanospheres (< 50 nm) with uniform tunable sizes by a convenient catalytic emulsion polymerization strategy: superior supercapacitive and sorption performances”, Journal of Materials Chemistry A 2017, 5, 12131–12143. [Featured on journal back cover]
- H. Su, Z. Ye*, N. Hmidi, “High-performance iron oxide-graphene oxide nanocomposite adsorbents for arsenic removal”, Colloids and Surfaces A: Physicochemical and Engineering Aspects 2017, 522, 161–172.
- L. Xu, L. Huang, Z. Ye*, N. Meng, Y. Shu, Z. Gu, “Polycyclopentene-decorated carbon nanotubes by convenient large-scale in situ polymerization and their lotus leaf-like superhydrophobic films”, Macromolecular Rapid Communications 2017, 38, 1600608.
- L. Huang, Z. Ye*, R. Berry, “Modification of cellulose nanocrystals with quaternary ammonium-containing hyperbranched polyethylene ionomers by ionic assembly”, ACS Sustainable Chemistry & Engineering 2016, 4, 4937–4950.
- Z. Dong, P. Xiang, L. Huang, Z. Ye*, “Efficient, robust surface functionalization and stabilization of gold nanorods with quaternary ammonium-containing ionomers as multidentate macromolecular ligands”, RSC Advance 2016, 6, 43574–43590.
- P. Xiang, Z. Ye*, “Hyperbranched polyethylene ionomers containing cationic tetralkylammonium ions synthesized by Pd–diimine-catalyzed direct one-pot ethylene copolymerization with ionic liquid comonomers”, Macromolecules 2015, 48, 6096–6107.
- P. Govindaiah, E. Guerra, Y. Choi, Z. Ye*, “Pressure oxidation leaching of an enargite concentrate in the presence of polytetrafluoroethylene beads”, Hydrometallurgy 2015, 157, 340−347.
- P. Xiang, Z. Ye*, “Homo- and co-polymerization of norbornene and methyl acrylate with Pd–diimine catalysts”, Journal of Organometallic Chemistry 2015, 798, 429−436.
- P. Govindaiah, M. Grundy, E. Guerra*, Y. Choi, Z. Ye*, “Polytetrafluoroethylene/TiO2 composite pellets as sulfur adsorbents for pressure oxidization leaching of chalcopyrite”, Metallurgical and Materials Transaction B 2015, 46B, 550−556.
- Z. Dong, Z. Ye*, “Heterogeneous palladium catalyst constructed with cross-linked hyperbranched poly(phenylacetylene) as polymer support: a reusable highly active ppm-level catalyst for multiple cross-coupling reactions”, Applied Catalysis A: General 2015, 489, 61−71.
- M. Grundy, Z. Ye*, “Cross-linked polymers of diethynylbenzene and phenylacetylene as new polymer precursors for high-yield synthesis of nanoporous activated carbons of high performance for supercapacitors, hydrogen storage, and CO2 capture”, Journal of Materials Chemistry A 2014, 2, 20316−20330. [Invited to be featured on journal back cover]
- Z. Dong, Z. Ye*, “Reusable, highly active heterogeneous Pd catalyst by convenient self-encapsulation cross-linking polymerization for multiple carbon–carbon cross-coupling reactions at ppm to ppb Pd loadings”, Advanced Synthesis & Catalysis 2014, 356, 3401−3414.
- P. Liu, Z. Ye*, W.-J. Wang*, B.-G. Li, “Synthesis of polyethylene and polystyrene miktoarm star copolymers using an ‘in-out’ strategy”, Polymer Chemistry 2014, 5, 5443−5452.
- L. Xu, Z. Ye*, S. Siemann, Z. Gu, “Noncovalent solubilization of multi-walled carbon nanotubes in common low-polarity organic solvents with branched Pd–diimine polyethylenes: effects of polymer chain topology, molecular weight and terminal pyrene group”, Polymer 2014, 55, 3120−3129.
- O. Osazuwa, M. Kontopoulou, P. Xiang, Z. Ye, A. Docoslis*, “Electrically conducting polyolefin composites containing electric field-aligned multiwall carbon nanotube structures: the effects of process parameters and filler loading”, Carbon 2014, 72, 89−99.
- P. Liu, Z. Dong, Z. Ye*, W.-J. Wang*, B.-G. Li, “A conveniently synthesized polyethylene gel encapsulating palladium nanoparticles as a reusable high-performance catalyst for Heck and Suzuki coupling reactions”, Journal of Materials Chemistry A 2013, 1, 15469−15478.
- L. Xu, Z. Ye*, “A Pd−diimine catalytic inimer for synthesis of polyethylenes of hyperbranched-on-hyperbranched and star architectures”, Chemical Communications 2013, 49, 8800−8802.
- E. Landry, Z. Ye*, “Convenient Pd-catalyzed ‘arm-first’ synthesis of large unimolecular star polyethylene nanoparticles”, Macromolecular Rapid Communications 2013, 34, 1493−1498.
- A. A. Vasileiou, A. Docoslis, M. Kontopoulou*, P. Xiang, Z. Ye, “The role of non-covalent functionalization and matrix viscosity on the dispersion and properties of LLDPE/MWCNT nanocomposites”, Polymer 2013, 54, 5230−5240.
- Z. Ye*, L. Xu, Z. Dong, P. Xiang, “Designing polyethylenes of complex chain architectures by Pd–diimine-catalyzed ‘living’ ethylene polymerization”, Chemical Communications 2013, 49, 6235−6255. [Invited feature article]
- L. Xu, J.-W. McGraw, F. Gao, M. Grundy, Z. Ye*, Z. Gu, J. L. Shepherd, “Production of high-concentration graphene dispersions in low-boiling-point organic solvents by liquid-phase noncovalent exfoliation of graphite with a hyperbranched polyethylene and formation of graphene/ethylene copolymer composites”, Journal of Physical Chemistry C 2013, 117, 10730−10742.
- P. Liu, Z. Ye*, W.-J. Wang*, B.-G. Li, “Hyperbranched polyethylenes encapsulating self-supported palladium (II) species as efficient and recyclable catalysts for Heck reaction”, Macromolecules 2013, 46, 72−82.
- P. Xiang, K. Petrie, M. Kontopoulou, Z. Ye*, R. Subramanian, “Tuning structural parameters of polyethylene brushes in surface-initiated ethylene ‘living’ polymerization from silica nanoparticles and effects on nanocomposite properties”, Polymer Chemistry 2013, 4, 1381−1395.
- P. Xiang, Z. Ye*, “Alternating, gradient, block, and block-gradient copolymers of ethylene and norbornene by Pd−diimine catalyzed ‘living’ copolymerization”, Journal of Polymer Science, Part A: Polymer Chemistry 2013, 51, 672−686.
- O. Oaszuwa, K. Petrie, M. Kontopoulou*, P. Xiang, Z. Ye, A. Docoslis, “Characterization of non-covalently, non-specifically functionalized multi-wall carbon nanotubes and their melt compounded composites with an ethylene-octene copolymer”, Composite Science and Technology 2012, 73, 27−33.
- O. Osazuwa, M. Kontopoulou*, P. Xiang, Z. Ye, A. Docoslis, “Polymer composites containing non-covalently functionalized carbon nanotubes: a study of their dispersion characteristics and response to AC electric fields”, Procedia Engineering 2012, 42, 1414−1424.
- P. Liu, W. Lu, W.-J. Wang*, B.-G. Li, Z. Ye*, S. Zhu*, “Synthesis and characterization of PE-b-POGEMA copolymers prepared by linear/hyperbranched telechelic polyethylene-initiated ATRP of oligo(ethylene glycol) Methacrylates”, Chapter 4 in ACS Symposium Series 1101, Progress in Controlled Radical Polymerization: Materials and Applications, Edited by K. Matyjaszewski, B. S. Sumerlin, and N. V. Tsarevsky, 2012, pp 39−64.
- Z. Zhang, Z. Ye*, “A ligand exchange strategy for one-pot sequential synthesis of (hyperbranched polyethylene)-b-(linear polyketone) block polymers”, Chemical Communications 2012, 48, 7940−7942.
- Z. Dong, Z. Ye*, “Synthesis of hyperbranched poly(phenylacetylene)s containing pendant alkyne groups by one-pot Pd-catalyzed copolymerization of phenylacetylene with diynes”, Macromolecules 2012, 45, 5020−5031. [This paper is one of top 20 most read articles in the Journal in June 2012; it is also highlighted in ACS Noteworthy Chemistry on August 6, 2012.]
- Z. Dong, Z. Ye*, “Hyperbranched polyethylenes by chain walking polymerization: synthesis, properties, functionalization, and applications”, Polymer Chemistry 2012, 3, 286−301. [Invited review article]
- L. Xu, Z. Ye*, Q. Cui, Z. Gu, L. Mercier, “Surface-initiated catalytic ethylene polymerization within nano-channels of ordered mesoporous silicas for synthesis of hybrid silica composites containing covalently tethered polyethylene”, Polymer 2011, 52, 5961−5974.
- P. Xiang, Z. Ye*, R. Subramanian, “Synthesis of low- and medium-molecular-weight hyperbranched polyethylenes by chain walking ethylene polymerization with Pd-diimine catalysts of reduced ligand steric crowdedness for novel synthetic base stocks”, Polymer 2011, 52, 5027−5039.
- P. Liu, E. Landry, Z. Ye*, H. Joly, W.-J. Wang*, B.-G. Li, “‘Arm-first’ synthesis of core-crosslinked multiarm star polyethylenes by coupling Pd-catalyzed ethylene ‘living’ polymerization with atom-transfer radical polymerization”, Macromolecules 2011, 44, 4125−4139.
- K. Petrie, A. Docoslis, S. Vasic, M. Kontopoulou*, S. Morgan, Z. Ye, “Non-covalent/non-specific functionalization of multi-walled carbon nanotubes with a hyperbranched polyethylene and characterization of their dispersion in a polyolefin matrix”, Carbon 2011, 49, 3378−3382.
- Y. Xu, P. Campeau, Z. Ye*, “Synthesis of heterobifunctional hyperbranched polyethylenes tethered with dual acryloyl and 2-bromoisobutyryl functionalities via one-pot chain walking terpolymerization”, Macromolecular Chemistry and Physics 2011, 212, 1255−1262.
- Y. Xu, P. Xiang, Z. Ye*, W.-J. Wang, “Hyperbranched-linear polyethylene block polymers constructed with chain blocks of hybrid chain topologies via one-pot stagewise chain walking ethylene ‘living’ polymerization”, Macromolecules 2010, 43, 8026−8038.
- S. Li, Z. Ye*, “Synthesis of narrowly distributed ω-telechelic hyperbranched polyethylenes by efficient end-capping of Pd-diimine-catalyzed ethylene ‘living’ polymerization with styrene derivatives”, Macromolecular Chemistry and Physics 2010, 211, 1917−1924. [This paper is one of the hottest articles in Catalysis in Wiley journals in Spring 2011. It is also one of the most accessed articles in the journal in March 2011.]
- X. Xia, Z. Ye*, S. Morgan, J. Lu, “‘Core-first’ synthesis of multiarm star polyethylenes with a hyperbranched core and linear arms via ethylene multifunctional ‘living’ polymerization with hyperbranched polyethylenes encapsulating multinuclear covalently tethered Pd-diimine catalysts”, Macromolecules 2010, 43, 4889−4901. [This paper is one of top 20 most read articles in the Journal in May 2010.]
- P. Xiang, Z. Ye*, “Copolymerization of ethylene with sterically hindered 3,3-dimethyl-1-butene using a chain walking Pd-diimine catalyst”, Macromolecular Rapid Communication 2010, 31, 1083−1089.
- Z. Ye*, S. Li, “Hyperbranched polyethylenes and functionalized polymers by chain walking polymerization with Pd-diimine catalysis”, Macromolecular Reaction Engineering 2010, 4, 319−332. [Invited feature article; featured on the cover page of the issue; one of top 11 most accessed article in the Journal in May 2010.]
- S. Morgan, Z. Ye*, R. Subramanian, W.-J. Wang, G. Ulibarri, “Chain walking copolymerization of ethylene with cyclopentene – effect of ring incorporation on polymer chain topology”, Polymer 2010, 51, 597–605.
- S. Morgan, Z. Ye*, R. Subramanian, S. Zhu, “Higher-molecular-weight hyperbranched polyethylenes containing cross-linking structures as lubricant viscosity-index improvers”, Polymer Engineering and Science 2010, 50, 911−918.
- L. Xu, Z. Ye*, Q. Cui, Z. Gu, “Noncovalent nonspecific solubilization of multi-walled carbon nanotubes at high concentrations with a hyperbranched polyethylene”, Macromolecular Chemistry and Physics 2009, 210, 2194–2202. [This paper was ranked as one of the most accessed papers in the journal in the year from Aug. 2009 to July 2010.]
- P. Xiang, Z. Ye*, S. Morgan, X. Xia, W. Liu, “Tuning polyethylene chain topology via ring incorporation in chain walking ethylene polymerization”, Macromolecules 2009, 42, 4946−4949.
- K. Zhang, Z. Ye*, R. Subramanian, “A trinuclear Pd-diimine catalyst for ‘core-first’ synthesis of three-arm star polyethylenes via ethylene ‘living’ polymerization”, Macromolecules 2009, 42, 2313−2316.
- S. Morgan, Z. Ye*, K. Zhang, R. Subramanian, “One-pot synthesis of low-viscosity hyperbranched polyethylenes tethered with pendant acryloyl functionalities by chain walking copolymerizations of ethylene with a diacrylate comonomer at elevated concentrations”, Macromolecular Chemistry and Physics 2008, 209, 2232−2240. [This paper was one of the most accessed articles in the journal in Sept.−Oct. 2008.]
- Y. Zhang, Z. Ye*, “Covalent surface grafting of branched polyethylenes on silica nanoparticles by surface-initiated ethylene “living” polymerization with immobilized Pd-diimine catalysts”, Macromolecules 2008, 41, 6331−6338.
- J. Ye, Z. Ye*, S. Zhu, “Synthesis and characterization of hyperbranched polyethylenes containing cross-linking structures by chain walking copolymerization of ethylene with diacrylate comonomer”, Polymer 2008, 49, 3382−3392.
- J. Wang*, Y. Song, C. Zhang, Z. Ye, H. Liu, M.-H. Lee, D. Wang, J. Ji, “Alternating copolymer of sulfonated poly(ether ether ketone-benzimidazole)s (SPEEK-BI) bearing acid and base moieties”, Macromolecular Chemistry and Physics 2008, 209, 1495−1502. [This paper was one of the most accessed articles in the journal in July 2008.]
- J. Wang, K. Zhang, Z. Ye*, “One-pot synthesis of hyperbranched polyethylenes tethered with polymerizable methacryloyl groups via selective ethylene copolymerization with heterobifunctional comonomers by chain walking Pd-diimine catalysis”, Macromolecules 2008, 41, 2290−2293.
- Y. Zhang, Z. Ye*, “Homogeneous polyhedral oligomeric silsesquioxane (POSS)-supported Pd-diimine complex and synthesis of polyethylenes end-tethered with a POSS nanoparticle via ethylene "living" polymerization”, Chemical Communications 2008, 1178−1180. [This paper was highlighted in SYNFACTS: “Preparation of Polyethylenes End-Tethered with POSS”, Synfacts 2008, 6, 0650−0650.]
- K. Zhang, Z. Ye*, R. Subramanian, “ Synthesis of block copolymers of ethylene with styrene and n-butyl acrylate via a tandem strategy combining ethylene ‘living’ polymerization catalyzed by a functionalized Pd-diimine catalyst with atom transfer radical polymerization”, Macromolecules 2008, 41, 640−649.
- J. Wang, M. Kontopoulou, Z. Ye*, R. Subramanian, S. Zhu, “Chain-topology-controlled hyperbranched polyethylene as effective polymer processing aid (PPA) for extrusion of a metallocene linear-low-density polyethylene (mLLDPE)”, Journal of Rheology 2008, 52, 243−260. [This paper was one (4th, 19th, and 5th, respectively) of twenty (20) most accessed articles in the journal in January, June and August 2008.]
- K. Zhang, J. Wang, R. Subramanian, Z. Ye*, J. Lu, Q. Yu, “Chain walking ethylene copolymerization with an ATRP inimer for one-pot synthesis of hyperbranched polyethylenes tethered with ATRP initiating sites”, Macromolecular Rapid Communication 2007, 28, 2185−2191. [This paper was one of most accessed articles in the journal during the period of June 2007−Oct. 2008.]
- J. Wang, Z. Ye*, H. Joly “Synthesis and characterization of hyperbranched polyethylenes tethered with polyhedral oligomeric silsesquioxane (POSS) nanoparticles by chain walking ethylene copolymerization with acryloisobutyl-POSS”, Macromolecules 2007, 40, 6150−6163.
- J. Wang, Z. Ye*, S. Zhu, “Topology-engineered hyperbranched high-molecular-weight polyethylenes as lubricant viscosity-index improver of high shear stability”, Industrial & Engineering Chemistry Research 2007, 46, 1174−1178.
- C. Elliott, Z. Ye, S. C. Mojumdar, M. T. Saleh*, “A potential bacterial carrier for bioremediation -characterization of insoluble potato fiber”, Journal of Thermal Analysis & Calorimetry 2007, 90, 707−711.
- H. M. Alsyouri, D. Li, Y. S. Lin*, Z. Ye, S. Zhu, “Counter diffusion self-assembly synthesis of nanostructured silica membranes”, Journal of Membrane Science 2006, 282, 266−275.
- Z. Ye*, S. Zhu, J. F. Britten “Chain orientation in polyethylene fibres prepared from ethylene nano-extrusion process”, Macromolecular Rapid Communication 2006, 27, 1217−1222.
- Z. Ye*, W. Feng, S. Zhu, Q. Yu “Effect of chain straightening on rheological parameters of Ni-diimine poly(1-hexene)s”, Macromolecular Rapid Communication 2006, 27, 871−876.
- Z. Ye*, F. AlObaidi, S. Zhu*, R. Subramanian “Long chain branching and rheological properties of ethylene-1-hexene copolymers prepared from ethylene stock by concurrent tandem catalysis”, Macromolecular Chemistry and Physics 2005, 206, 2096−2105.
- F. AlObaidi, Z. Ye, S. Zhu*, “Ethylene polymerization with homogeneous Ni-Diimine catalysts: effect of catalyst structure and polymerization conditions on catalyst activity and polymer properties”, Polymer 2004, 45, 6823−6829.
- W.-J. Wang, Z. Ye, H. Fan, B.-G. Li, S. Zhu*, “Dynamic mechanical and rheological properties of metallocene-catalyzed long chain branched ethylene/propylene copolymers”, Polymer 2004, 45, 5497−5504.
- Z. Ye, S. Zhu*, “Melt rheological properties of branched polyethylenes produced with Pd/Ni diimine catalysts”, Macromolecular Chemistry and Physics 2004, 205, 897−906.
- F. AlObaidi, Z. Ye, S. Zhu*, “Direct synthesis of linear low density polyethylene of ethylene/1-hexene directly from ethylene using tandem catalytic system in single reactor”, Journal of Polymer Science, Part A, Polymer Chemistry 2004, 42, 4327−4336.
- Z. Ye, F. AlObaidi, S. Zhu*, “Synthesis and rheological properties of long chain branched isotactic polypropylenes via propylene copolymerization with non-conjugated dienes”, Industrial and Engineering Chemistry Research 2004, 43, 2860−2870.
- Z. Ye, F. AlObaidi, S. Zhu*, “A tandem catalytic system for synthesis of ethylene-1-hexene copolymers from ethylene stock”, Macromolecular Rapid Communication 2004, 25, 647−652.
- H. Alsyouri, C. Langheinrich, Y. S. Lin*, Z. Ye, S. Zhu, “Cyclic CVD modification of straight nanopore alumina membranes”, Langmuir 2003, 19, 7307−7314.
- F. AlObaidi, Z. Ye, S. Zhu*, “Ethylene polymerization with silica supported Ni-diimine catalyst: effect of supporting and polymerization conditions on catalyst activity and polymer properties”, Macromolecular Chemistry and Physics 2003, 204, 1653−1659.
- Z. Ye, S. Zhu*, W.-J. Wang, H. Alsyouri, and Y. S. Lin, “Morphological and mechanical properties of nascent polyethylene fibers via ethylene extrusion polymerization with MCM-41 supported metallocene catalyst”, Journal of Polymer Science, Part B, Polymer Physics 2003, 41, 2433−2443.
- Z. Ye, W.-J. Wang, S. Zhu*, “ESR study on reduction of constrained geometry catalyst systems”, Journal of Applied Polymer Science 2003, 89, 2474−2482.
- Z. Ye, S. Zhu*, “Newtonian flow behavior of high-molecular-weight hypebranched polyethylenes produced with a Pd-diimine catalyst and its dependence on chain topology”, Macromolecules 2003, 36, 2194−2197.
- Z. Ye, S. Zhu*, “Synthesis of branched polypropylene with isotactic backbone and atactic side chains by binary iron and zirconium single site catalysts”, Journal of Polymer Science, Part A, Polymer Chemistry 2003, 41, 1152−1159.
- Z. Ye, S. Zhu*, H. Alsyouri, and Y. S. Lin, “Catalyst impregnation and ethylene polymerization with mesoporous particle supported Ni-diimine catalysts”, Polymer 2003, 44, 969−980.