Ann English, PhD
Professor Emeritus and Honorary Concordia University Research Chair, Chemistry and Biochemistry
PhD (McGill University)
Analytical, Biophysical, Proteomics, Bioinorganic, Mass Spectrometry.
Analytical chemistry, bioinorganic chemistry, biophysical chemistry, cell signalling, chemical kinetics, electron and proton transfer in chemistry and biology, mass spectrometry, protein chemistry and proteomics.
Selected peer-reviewed publications
M. Kathiresan and A.M. English (2016) Targeted proteomics identifymetabolism-dependent interactors of yeast cytochrome c peroxidase: Implicationsin stress response and heme trafficking, Metallomics 8, 434 – 443.
M.S. Shadrina, A.M. Englishand G.H. Peslherbe (2016) BenchmarkingRapid TLES Simulations of Gas Diffusion in Proteins: Mapping O2Migration and Escape in Myoglobin as a Case Study,
M.S. Shadrina, G.H. Peslherbe andA.M. English (2015) Quaternary-linkedchanges in structure and dynamics that modulate O2 migration withinhemoglobin’s gas diffusion tunnels, Biochemistry 54, 5268-5278.
7. M.S.Shadrina, G.H. Peslherbe and A.M. English (2015) O2 and water migration pathways between thesolvent and heme pockets of hemoglobin with open and closed conformations ofthe distal HisE7, Biochemistry, 54,5279–5289.
8. D. Martins and A.M. English (2015) Peroxynitrite andhydrogen peroxide elicit a similar cellular stress response mediated by theCcp1 sensor protein,Free Rad. Biol. Med. 85,138-147.
9. M. Kathiresan, D. Martins and A.M. English (2014) Respiration triggers heme transfer from cytochrome cperoxidase to catalase in yeast mitochondria, Proc.Nat. Acad. Sci, USA 111, 17468–17473.
10. D. Martins and A.M. English (2014) Sod1 oxidationand formation of soluble aggregates in yeast: relevance to sporadic ALSdevelopment,Redox Biology 2, 632-639.
11. D. Martins, V.I. Titorenko and A.M. English (2014) Cells with impaired mitochondrial H2O2 sensinggenerate less •OH radicals and live longer, Antiox. Red. Sig. 21, 1490-1503.
12. D. Martins and A.M. English (2014) catalase activity is stimulatedby H2O2 inrich culture medium and is required forH2O2 resistance and adaptation in yeast, Redox Biology 2,308-313.
13. B. Shen, C. Bazin, and A.MEnglish (2013) Rapid high-yield N-acetylation of aminothiols: N-acetylglutathione andN-acetylhomocysteine and their thiol pKa values, J. Peptide Science 19, 263–267.
14. Clarke, M. Ouellet, and A.M.English (2013) Overcoming matrix effects in the chemiluminescence determination ofextracellular adenosine triphosphate in erythrocyte suspensions, Anal.Biochem. 436, 66-68.
15. M. Khakimova, H. G. Ahlgren,J.J. Harrison, A.M. English and D. Nguyen (2013)The stringent response controls catalasesin Pseudomonas aeruginosa and is required for hydrogen peroxide and antibiotic tolerance, J. Bacteriology 195, 2011-2020.
16. D. Martins, M. Kathiresan andA.M. English (2013) Cytochrome c peroxidase (Ccp1) is amitochondrial heme-based H2O2 sensor that modulatesantioxidant defense, Free Rad. Biol. Med. 65, 541-551.
17. A.B. Seabra, M. Ouellet, M.Antonic, M.N. Chrétien, and A.M. English (2013)Catalysis of nitrite generation fromnitroglycerin by glyceraldehyde-3-phosphate dehydrogenase (GAPDH), NitricOxide 35, 116–122.
18. M.S. Shadrina, A.M. English andG.H. Peslherbe (2012) Effective simulations of gas diffusionthrough kinetically accessible tunnels in multi-subunit proteins: O2pathways and escape routes in T-state deoxyhemoglobin, J. Am. Chem. Soc. 134, 11177−11184.
19. D.Susanto A.M. English, R. Sharmaand E. Kwong (2011) An alternative approach using ESI-MS toiron quantitation in pharmaceutical formulations containing iron oxide, J. Mass Spec. 46, 508–516.
20. E.E.Moran, Q.K. Timerghazin, E. Kwong and A.M. English (2011)Kinetics and mechanism of S‑nitrosothiol acid-catalyzed hydrolysis: Sulfuractivation promotes facile NO release, J. Phys. Chem. B 115,3112–3126.
21. J.I. Garcia, A.B. Seabra, R. Kennedy andA.M. English (2010) Nitrite and nitroglycerin inducerapid release of the vasodilator ATP from erythrocytes: Relevance to thechemical physiology of local vasodilation J. Inorg. Biochem. 104, 289-296.
22. A.A.Goldberg, V.R. Richard, P. Kyryakov, S.D. Bourque, A. Beach, M.T. Burstein, A.Glebov, O. Koupaki, T. Boukh-Viner, C. Gregg, M. Juneau, A.M. English, D.Y.Thomas and V.I. Titorenko (2010) Chemical genetic screen identifieslithocholic acid as an anti-aging compound that extends yeast chronologicallife span in a TOR-independent manner, by modulating housekeeping longevityassurance processes, Aging 2, 393-414.
23. Q.K. Timerghazin, G.H.Peslherbe and A.M. English (2008) Structure andstability of HSNO, thesimplest S-nitrosothiol, Phys. Chem. Chem. Phys. 10, 1532-1539.
24. Q.K.Timerghazin, A.M. English and G.H. Peslherbe (2008) On the multireference characterof S-nitrosothiols, Chem.Phys. Letts. 454, 24-29.
25. Q.K. Timerghazin, G.H. Peslherbe andA.M. English (2007) Resonance description of S-nitrosothiols:Insights into reactivity, Org. Letts.9, 3049-3052.
26. J. Laterreur and A.M. English (2007) Hemoglobin S-nitrosation on oxygenation of nitrite deoxyhemoglobinincubations is attenuated by methemoglobin, J. Inorg. Biochem. 101, 1827–1835.
27. J.-F.Roy, M.N. Chrétien, B. Woodside, and A.M. English (2007) Reduction and S-nitrosation of the neuropeptide oxytocin: Implicationsfor its biological function, Nitric Oxide 17, 82-90.
28. M. Ye and A.M. English (2006) Binding of polyaminocarboxylate chelators to the active-site copperinhibits the GSNO-reductase activity but not the superoxide dismutase activityof Cu,Zn-superoxide dismutase, Biochemistry 45, 12723-12732.
29. H. Jiang and A.M. English (2006) Phenotypic analysis of the ccp1D and ccp1D-ccp1W191Fmutant strains of Saccharomycescerevisiae indicates that cytochrome cperoxidase functions in oxidative-stress signalling, J.Inorg. Biochem. 100, 1996-2008.
30. H. Jiang and A.M. English (2006) Evaluation of D10-Leu metabolic labeling coupled with MALDI-MSanalysis in studying the response of the yeast proteome to H2O2challenge, J. Proteome Res. 5,2539-2546.
31. B. Shen, J.C. Scaiano, and A.M. English (2006) Zeoliteencapsulation decreases TiO2-photosensitized ROS generation incultured human skin fibroblasts, Photochem. Photobiol. 82, 5-12.
32. B. Shen and A.M. English (2005) Mass spectrometric analysis of nitroxyl-mediated protein modification:comparison of products formed with free and protein-based cysteines,Biochemistry, 44,14030-14044.
33. T. Boukh-Viner, T. Guo, A. Alexandrian, A. Cerracchio, C. Gregg, S. Haile, R. Kyskan, S. Milijevic, D. Oren, J. Solomon,V. Wong, J.M. Nicaud, R.A. Rachubinski, A.M. English, and V.I. Titorenko (2005)Dynamic ergosterol- and ceramide-richdomains in the peroxisomal membrane serve as an organizing platform forperoxisome fusion, J. CellBiol. 168, 761-773.
34. H. Bard, A.M. English, C.Gagnon and K. Bellemin (2005)The effect of adult hemoglobin on redblood cell nitric oxide levels during fetal development, Biol. Neonate 87, 203-206.
35. M.N. Chretien, B. Shen, H. Garcia, A.M. English andJ.C. Scaiano (2004) Ship-in-a-bottle synthesisof fluorescence-labeled nanoparticles: applications in cellular imaging,Photochem. Phtotobiol. 40, 434-437.
36. H. Bard, A. M. English, K. Bellemin and C. Gagnon (2004) Developmental changes in NO bioavailability in fetal erthrocytes,Semin. Perinatol. 28, 312-316.
37. M.Ouellet, S. M. Aitken, A. M. English and M. D. Percival (2004) Aromatic hydroxamicacids and hydrazides as inhibitors ofthe peroxidase activity of prostaglandin synthase-2, Arch. Biochem.Biophys. 431, 107-118.
38. L.Tao and A.M. English (2004) Protein S-glutathiolation triggered bydecomposed S-nitrosoglutathione, Biochemistry, 43, 4228-4038.
39. S.M. Aitken, M. Ouellet, M. D. Percival and A. M. English (2003) Mechanism of horseradishperoxidase inactivation by benzhydrazide: a critical evaluation ofarylhydrazides as peroxidase inhibitors, Biochem. J. 375, 613-621.
40. A.A.Romeo, J.A. Capobianco and A.M. English (2003)Superoxide dismutase targets NO from GSNOto Cysb93 of oxyhemoglobin inconcentrated but not dilute solutions of the protein, J. Am. Chem. Soc. 125, 14370-14378.
41. P. J. Wright and A.M. English (2003) Scavenging with TEMPO•to identify peptide- and protein-based radicals by mass spectrometry:Advantages of spin scavenging over spin trapping, J. Am. Chem. Soc. 125, 8655-8665.
42. R. Papp, I.Ekiel and A.M. English (2003) ESI-MS and FTIR studies of the interactionbetween the second PDZ domain of hPTP1E and target peptides, Biochem. CellBiol. 81, 71-80.
43. L.Tao and A.M. English (2003) Mechanism of S-nitrosation of recombinanthuman brain calbindin D28K, Biochemistry 42, 3326-3334.
44. G. Tsaprailisand A.M. English (2003) Mass spectral analysis of tyrosyl radicalsgenerated in yeast cytochrome c peroxidase and its W191F mutant on reaction withH2O2, J. Biol. Inorg. Chem. 8, 248-255.
45. C.Toubin, David Y.-H. Yeung, A.M. English and G.H. Peslherbe (2002) Theoretical Investigations of S-nitrosothiol Degradation: Probing theCatalytic Role of Copper Ions, J. Am. Chem. Soc. (Chem. Comm.) 124, 14816-1481.
46. J.Heng and A. M. English (2002) Quantitative Analysis of the Yeast Proteomeby Incorporation of Labeled Leucine, J. Proteome Res. 1, 345-350.
47. A.A.Romeo, J.A. Capobianco and A.M. English (2002)Reaction of deoxyhemoglobin withS-nitrosogluthatione requires copper, J. Biol. Chem. 277, 24135-24141.
48. L.Tao, M.E.P. Murphy and A.M. English (2002)S-Nitrosation of Ca2 -loadedand Ca2 -free recombinant calbindin D28K from human brain,Biochemistry 41, 6185-6192.
49. S.Akhter, A. Vignini, Z. Wen, A.M. English, P.G. Wang and B. Mutus (2002) Evidence for S-nitrosothiol-dependent changes in fibrinogen that do notinvolve transnitrosation or thiolation, Proc. Natl. Acad. USA 99, 9172-9177.
50. S. M. Aitken, J.L. Turnbull, M.D. Percival and A.M. English (2001) Thermodynamic analysis of the binding of aromatic hydroxamic acidanalogs to ferric horseradish peroxidase, Biochemistry, 40, 13980-13989.
51. A. Filosa, Y. Wang, A.A. Ismailand A.M. English (2001) Two-dimensional correlation spectroscopy asa probe of the sequential events in the thermal unfolding of cytochromes c, Biochemistry, 40, 8256-8263.
52. A. Filosa and A.M. English (2001)Mass spectral analysis of protein-basedradicals using DBNBS: Non-radical adduct formation vs spin trapping, J.Biol. Chem. 276, 21022-21027.
53. P.J.Wright and A.M. English (2001) Buffer anions promote leaching of Ca2 from horseradish peroxidase at low pH: Possible shielding role of carbohydrate,J. Biol. Inorg. Chem. 6, 348-358.
54. A.A. Romeo, A. Filosa, J.A.Capobianco and A.M. English (2001) Metal chelators inhibit S-nitrosation of Cysb93 in oxyhemoglobin, J. Am. Chem. Soc. (Chem. Comm) 123, 1782-1783.
55. A. Filosa andA.M. English (2000) Probing local thermal stabilities of bovine,horse and tuna ferricytochromes c at pH 7, J. Biol. Inorg. Chem. 5, 448-454.