Electrical Engineering (BEng)
Bachelor of Engineering (BEng)Offered by:
Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering, Faculty of Engineering and Computer Science
Why study electrical engineering?
Control energy with a flip of a switch. Design next-generation microchips or flight control systems. As electrical engineers you rein in electrons, guide them through the devices we depend on every day — whether they are very small (like the microchips in our cell phones) or very large (like the power grids or charging stations for electric cars).
Choose to specialize in Electronics/VLSI, Telecommunications, Power and Renewable Energy or Avionics and Control or create your own path based on electives that suit your interests. Our state-of-the-art labs for digital electronics, electric power systems circuits and digital communications will give you experience with the tools you’ll use in the field. Through labs, lectures and projects, you’ll also:
- Study mathematics and engineering science
- Design circuits and electronics systems
- Work in a co-op program and get real world experience in microelectronics, telecommunications and power industries
Our program is accredited by the Canadian Engineering Accreditation Board and you’ll graduate eligible to become a registered professional engineer.
A Bachelor of Engineering degree takes a minimum of four years (120 credits) of full-time study, depending on your academic background.
After the successful completion of first year core courses, students may choose to take one of four specialization options:
- Electronics/VLSI Option
- Telecommunications Option
- Power and Renewable Energy Option
- Avionics and Control Option
Students who do not select an option must choose a minimum of 30 credits from the Electrical Engineering electives list.
- Cegep Students including Three-Year Technical DEC:
- CHEM-101 or 202-NYA;
- MATH-103 or 201-NYA and 203 or 201-NYB and 105 or 201-NYC
- PHYS-101 or 203-NYA and 201 or 203-NYB
- Non-Cegep Students:
- Calculus I and II, Linear Algebra, Mechanics, Electricity and Magnetism, General Chemistry I
Particular attention is paid to grades in mathematics, sciences and courses applicable to the intended program of study. Applicants who do not meet the minimum requirements will be reviewed holistically.
- Students will be required to take and complete all prerequisite program requirements during their first year of study.
- Any missing prerequisites will be added onto the program at Concordia.
- Applicants from a three-year technical DEC may be eligible for transfer credits based on course equivalencies.
- Minimum of 65% for exemptions for Math and Physics. Students with grades of less than 65% in prerequisite courses will be asked to repeat those courses in addition to the program.
Minimum Cut-off Averages
(Minimum Cut-Off Averages: Should be used as indicators. Data may change depending on the quality of the application pool )
- Cegep: Overall CRC 24.00
- Canadian/U.S. High Schools & International Secondary Schools: 80% or B- equivalent
- External Transfers: Minimum 2.5 GPA (Transfer credits may be considered on a course-by-course basis or by challenge exams.)
- International Bacc. (IB): A minimum total of 27 points and completion of mathematics and sciences at the Higher Level
- Bacc. Français: Overall 11/20 – Completion of Série S (Sciences)
Make sure you also meet Concordia's minimum admission requirements.
- Build an FM wireless receiver
- Design a solar home electric vehicle charger
- Develop a wind energy conversion system
Applying to the Engineering co-op program gives you the chance to complete paid work terms that last 12 to 16 weeks. As a co-op student, you will work for engineering firms where you may:
- Design and code embedded systems
- Develop, test and integrate telecom solutions
- Design and validate a video card’s programmable circuits
Electrical engineering alumni have established careers in a range of fields, including aerospace, avionics and robotics, telecommunications, image and video processing, digital security, and power electronics and systems. Some have been hired by:
- CAE Inc.
- Miranda Technologies