Political science subject guide
If you are working with a political theory, research and read about your theory in your course texts OR in one of the encyclopedias listed below, then you will be able to apply that theory to the case studies or question that you are writing about.
Encyclopedia of Political Theory (e-book)
Other sources of background information (dictionaries, handbooks, encyclopedias, etc)
Journal Articles = Databases
- Political Science Complete - search for articles in International relations, Comparative politics, International politics, International organizations, Security, Foreign policy, Human rights, Political economy, U.S. Politics, Public policy, Elections
- ProQuest Combined Canadian - search for articles in Canadian politics and government, Canadian public policy and public administration, Quebec politics, Canadian federalism and parliament
- JSTOR - search for articles in Classical political theory and philosophy, Hellenistic, Roman, Medieval political philosophy
- HeinOnline Law Journal Library - search for articles in Law journals, Canadian, American and international law, Constitutional law
- International Political Science Abstracts (IPSA)
- Academic Search Complete - multidisciplinary journal articles
- PAIS International
- Google Scholar
Peer review/Scholary Journals: What is peer review and how do I find peer reviewed articles?
Fundamentals for Grad Students Guide (GradProSkills)
Set-up Search Alerts in Political Science Complete, IPSA and Academic Search Complete
Set-Up Journal Alerts in Political Science Complete, IPSA and Academic Search Complete
- Library Catalogue - print books and ebooks available at Concordia
- Use the Subject Headings attached to each book record to explore the subject in the catalogue and to narrow down your results faster.
Canadian Newsstream - Canadian English daily newspapers, including the Globe & Mail, Montreal Gazette, Toronto Star, National Post and many regional and local papers.
Eureka.cc - Canadian/Quebec newspapers and magazines in French and English, includes La Presse, Le Devoir, and L'Actualité.
US Newsstream - Major US daily newspapers, including The New York Times, Washington Post, Wall street journal, Chicago Tribune, Chicago Sun Times, Boston Globe, LA Times, USA Today and many more regional and local newspapers.
Historical Newspapers - Canada, US and international
The Hill Times - weekly newspaper that covers Canadian federal politics.
Information by topic
Canadian Political Science:
- Canadian Politics & Government Information (Library and Archives Canada)
- Canadian Interest Groups & Think Tanks (Queen's University Library)
- Canadian Global Affairs Institute
- Centre for International Policy Studies (uOttawa)
- Policy.ca - a non-partisan database of public policy articles from a variety of organizations
- Public Policy Forum - an independent, non-governmental organization improving the quality of government in Canada through dialogue among leaders
- Institute for Research on Public Policy - independent, national, bilingual organization researching Canadian policy
- POLTEXT - collection of textual data sources used for policy analysis in Canada (ULaval) English & French
- Political Database of the Americas centralized information about institutions, political processes, national constitutions, branches of government, elections, political constitutional studies of the Americas (Georgetown University)
- Council on Foreign Relations Resources in international affairs focusing on 12 policy areas and searchable by region and issue.
- Country Indicators for Foreign Policy (CIFP) includes global political and demographic indicators related to political stability.
- EuroDocs - primary sources for European history
- Foreign Affairs Online (University of Virginia)
- IDEA: International Institute for Democracy and Electoral Assistance
Reports on: electoral processes, political parties, constitution-building, democracy and gender, and conflict assessment.
- Transparency International - reports, statistics, and analysis of global corruption.
Human Rights, Peace studies & Security:
- Center for International Development and Conflict Management (University of Maryland)
- Freedom in the World reports - comparative assessment of global political rights and civil liberties.
- Human Rights Watch
- Human Security Report Project (SFU)
- National Consortium for the Study of Terrorism and Responses to Terrorism
- Stockholm International Peace Research Institute (SIPRI)
- World Directory of Minorities and Indigenous Peoples
- Find articles
- Find videos
- Find dissertations, theses and research papers
- How to borrow from other libraries in person (BCI card)
- How to borrow from other libraries with Interlibrary loans (COLOMBO)
- Connect to the library off-campus
- Set up Google Scholar for off-campus searching
- Print in the libraries