Business research portal
The following databases or journals are not searched with the above search box, please follow the steps below to access them:
- Factiva.com: trade news, includes the Wall Street Journal
- Eureka: French-language newspapers from Québec and the world
- Harvard business review: search directly in Business Source Complete, doing a "Publication name" search in drop-down menu
Use encyclopedias, handbooks and dictionaries to understand a topic, make sure you are using the right words to describe your topic and take note of new words or expressions that appear as you are searching.
Access all online business encyclopedias, handbooks and dictionaries.
Finding sources or information for your papers involves much more than searching Google and picking from the top hits. You are expected to find (and graded on) the best, most recent and authoritative document. Usually, it means quoting and using peer-reviewed articles from scholarly sources. The videos above explain these concepts in greater details.
If you are in a hurry, just make sure you use the "Scholarly (Peer Reviewed) Journals" tick-box from the search page of Business Source Complete or the "peer-reviewed" tick-box from ProQuest Business Databases. You will only get peer-reviewed or scholarly articles in your results.
Remember to select the articles in Business Source Complete or ProQuest Business Databases. You then can send the information to your RefWorks account and create your bibiographies automatically in your word processor. Watch a video on using RefWorks.
NEVER use the "full text" tick-box from Business Source Complete or ProQuest Business Databases because you will miss out on many articles we have full-text access to in other databases. Just use the "Find it @ Concordia" button when browsing results and let our system verify if we have full-text access to an article from another database. Literaly, we have thousands of databases and Business Source Complete or ProQuest Business Databases allows you to discover articles we have access to.
Industry and company reports
- IBISWorld: industry reports for Canada, USA, China and global (view IBISWorld YouTube Tutorial)
- Mergent Online: Company financials for worldwide publicaly traded companies
- SME Benchmarking Tool: average income statement and balance sheets for Canadian small business (view SME YouTube Tutorial)
- Thomson ONE: Analyst reports
- Standard & Poors NetAdvantage: Industry Surveys, select industry from drop-down menu
Consumer reports and data
- Passport GMID: worldwide consumer reports, includes Canada (view Passport YouTube Tutorial)
- PMB Print Measurement Bureau: yearly consumer surveys of Canada (view PMB YouTube Tutorial)
- SimplyMap Canada: vizualize data from Statistic Canada's Census, National Household Profile (NHP) and CANSIM on a map (view YouTube Tutorial for SimplyMap Canada, Census or CANSIM)
- Economist Intelligence Unit
- OECD profile of Canada: all OECD publications are available via OECD iLibrary
- Doing Business: measuring business conditions from the World Bank
- CIA World Factbook
- UN Data: Data for a wide range of topics for most countries
- Advanced Google Search on Canadian or USA government websites on that country's name (view Googling government Informartion YouTube Tutorial)
- Access local trade associations, such as a country's national chamber of commerce
- Looking at travel websites will also provide for interesting social information about a country. See Cile's provile onWikiTravel as well as Lonely Planet (for lower-end travel information) or Fodor's (for the higher-end). You may also want to borrow travel guides from your local public library.
- Business Article Databases
- Business Directories
- Company & Industry Data
- Dictionaries, Encyclopedias & Handbooks
- Market Consumer Data
- Article Databases
- Brokerage & Fund Reports
- Commodity Data
- Company & Industry Data
- Historical Newspapers
- Historical Stock Data
- Trade & Economic Data