Samie Li Shang Ly completed a bachelor’s degree, two master’s degrees and a doctorate at Concordia. She has also been a business statistics lecturer at the university for eight years. She is the recipient of a President’s Excellence in Teaching Award and a Stanley G. French Medal. Ly enjoys bringing people together from different programs and places and believes this is her biggest accomplishment.
Three keys to a good education
- Awesome teachers change your path and influence your life forever — you are your teacher’s mimic.
- Build character by questioning rather than being obedient and following.
- Teamwork, friends and family are golden. They stay by your side through stress, cry with you, laugh with you and always want the best for you.
Two lessons learned at Concordia University
- Diversity and inclusion are normal. Concordia is a rare place where people from multiple nations speak different languages and put their minds together.
- Concordia is a growing community. When every person pulls their weight, we bring this university one step further together.
Next great goal
- To create a social impact in education by bridging theory and practice for all innovators in the world.
Advice for future grads
- Where you are today doesn't define where you'll be in one, five or 10 years. Taking steps toward respect, kindness and love will always lead you to somewhere beautiful. It's better to take one step at a time than to not move forward at all.