Concordia University

Arts and Science advising

Advising for Undergraduate Students 2017-18
Fall & Winter Sessions

New Students

Advising is REQUIRED for new students. You must get academic advising before you can register. The type of advising depends on your department or college.

Returning Students

Advising is NOT required for returning students. Should you wish to meet with an advisor, please see the contact information below. It is recommended that students accepted to or enrolled in a College contact a College representative.

Summer Session

Returning Students — Students enrolled in a BEd Specialization in TESL or Certificate in TESL program must meet with their academic adviser in order to register for any TESL course offered in the Summer Session. All other students in the Faculty of Arts & Science do not require academic advising prior to registering for summer courses.

General information

Course Prerequisites

The registration system will not permit you to register for a course which has a prerequisite if you have not completed that prerequisite. If a course has “permission of the Department” as a prerequisite, you must obtain authorization from the appropriate department in order to register for the course.

Course Entry Restrictions

Many courses in the Faculty of Arts & Science are reserved in whole or in part to students enrolled in specific programs and are not available as elective courses.

Course Overloads

Full-time students who wish to take a course overload (i.e. more than 12 credits) in the Summer Session must receive permission from their academic adviser or from Student Academic Services in the Faculty of Arts & Science. The normal Fall/Winter course load for full-time students is 15 credits per term.

Students are advised that they must have completed at least 24 credits and have a cumulative GPA of 3.00 or above before attempting to undertake a course overload in any session.

General Education Requirement

Newly admitted students to the Faculty of Arts & Science are required to satisfy the General Education requirement. For more information regarding this degree requirement students may contact the academic advisor in their Department, or the academic counsellor in Student Academic Services (extension 2104). Detailed information may also be obtained by consulting Section 31.004 of the Undergraduate Calendar for the year in which you were admitted to a program in Arts and Science.

Elective Group

For more information, telephone (514) 848-2424 ext. 2104 or see Elective Groups.

Graduate advising information varies depending on program. For an overview of academic advising and suggested contacts by program:

 » See Academic Advising under the Graduate tab in the Registration guide.

Back to top

© Concordia University