Procedures & forms
The following are links to summary documents describing, for each program:
- The required courses with an indication of when they are offered
- Typical sequences followed by program students
- A flowchart showing the prerequisite sequences
To help you plan your own schedule, we have created a fill-in form. Scheduling your courses is your responsibility. However, if you need to meet with an advisor to discuss your program and course selections, please be sure to fill in the appropriate checklist beforehand in order to save time:
Certain student requests are handled internally in the Department:
- Add or remove a Minor
- Change program (Major, Specialization or Honours)
- Change program to Chemistry or Biochemistry from another department.
Honours programs - You must be in Acceptable Standing, your GPA must be at least 3.3 in program courses, and Department Permission is required.
Major and specialization programs - You must be in Acceptable Standing, your GPA must be at least 2.0 in program courses, and Department Permission is required.
(To change to a program given by another department, students must see an advisor in that department.)
- Waive course prerequisites
Fill in a departmental student request form
- Request a lab exemption if you are repeating a course taken no more than 2 years ago for which you passed the lab component (policy).
Please note. There are strict deadlines for applications from registered students because labs start in the second week of term:
- Summer term courses: TBA, 2017
- Fall term courses: TBA, 2017
- Winter term courses: 5 pm, Friday, January 13th, 2017
Fill in a departmental lab exemption request form.
Note: Depending on your browser configuration, you may have to save the blank form, fill in the saved copy, and then re-save it to preserve the information you entered. Here is how to fill in PDF forms
- Make sure you have a recent version of Acrobat.
- Click on the link to open the form in your browser.
- Right click on it and save it somewhere convenient.
- Open it using Acrobat.
- Fill it in.
- Click the "Sign" button (top right). A side panel should open.
- Click "Signed. Proceed to Send".
- Click "Save a copy".
- Print or send the saved copy after making sure it is still filled in
Please make sure you do not e-mail a blank form!
Certain student requests are handled by the Faculty of Arts and Science, but require a departmental advisor's signature for processing. For more information and forms, see the faculty web site. Such requests include:
- Late registration, late withdrawal, or late discontinue
- Credit overloads
- Extention of late completion deadline
- Transfer of external credits
- Course substitutions
- Remove exemptions
- Retain credit
- Waive 24-credit rule
- Waive general education requirements
If you think you have done one or more program courses elswhere, which have not already been recognised as part of your admission conditions, and you wish to apply for transfer credit for them, you need to fill in the application form, and provide the department with as much information about the courses as possible.
A brief calendar description is usually not adequate. Return the form and supporting materials to the departmental office.
Forms are available from the Departmental Office , or Prof. P. Pawelek, for permission to do CHEM450 (Honours Thesis) or CHEM419 (Independent Study)
Most professors in the Department recommmend, and many require students taking their courses to attend a seminar about plagiarism and other forms of academic dishonesty. Get more information about the academic integrity seminar.