Video & Sound Editing
All rooms are now available 24 hours per day, 7 days per week with the exception of our sound recording studio VS 11, which is open 10:00-17:30 Monday through Friday. All students with a CDA account may book and use the rooms.
In order to reserve one of our editing rooms, please click on the “Reserve a room here” link to be directed to the calendar view of our room bookings. In the top right corner of the calendar page you will find buttons to access the Patron Portal tutorial and the Patron Portal login. It is highly recommended that you watch the Patron Portal tutorial video prior to booking for the first time.
- You must have a CDA account to access the editing rooms.
- Reserve your room in advance using the Patron Portal.
- Undergraduates may book a maximum of 5 hours/day and graduates 10 hours/day. Both are limited to 30 hours/week.
- If you make a booking that takes place (begins and ends) during the opening hours of the CDA depot, pick up and return your key there. If you make a booking that either begins or ends outside of these opening hours you must pick up from and return your key to the EV Security desk in the lobby. Please note that you don’t pick up a key for the recording studio (VS 11). You have only to arrive at the studio at the time of the booking and you will be let in. If you are using the studio for the first time you will be given a brief demonstration on studio operation.
- You must arrive and leave on time for your booking and return the key. If your key is not returned on time you will be fined ($10/hour, $150/day).
- You may not eat or drink in the rooms. Do not unplug any equipment. Failure to obey these rules may result in a suspension of privileges.
About the CDA Editing Rooms
- All 11 individual rooms are dedicated video and sound work environments. They all have good graphics cards and faster and more powerful computers as well as near-field sound monitors. The rooms are optimized for editing video with Adobe Premiere and sound with ProTools.
- There is one ProTools-based recording room (VS 11) with a soundproof booth suitable for voice recording, foley or small intruments.
- There is also one sound mixing room (VS 10) for either stereo or multi-channel (5.1) mixing with ProTools HD, Logic X, Audition and Izotope RX.
- In VS06 we have Plural Eyes sound synchronization software.
- In room VS 00 we have an FSI color correction monitor and a Tangent control surface.
- All rooms support video formats from SD to 4K RAW
- Technical help is available during daytime CDA opening hours.
Working in the rooms
- The video and sound editing rooms are only to be used for class-related projects using precisely video or sound (you will be asked to leave if you are not working on a V/S related project) and require good graphics, speakers and a fast computer.
- If you are working with video we encourage you to get your own external USB3 or Thunderbolt drive. If you are working on a longer RAW video project you can ask for local RAID storage from Phil Hawes (ext. 4912) but you will be restricted to using one particular room.
- To use the sound mixing room you need clearance from Mark Sherman (ext. 3449).