Posted on July 5, 2017
The following faculty members in the Department of Religions and Cultures were awarded:
- Prof. Lorenzo DiTommaso has been awarded a five-year SSHRC Insight Grant. His project investigates the Antichrist texts and traditions in the Middle Ages.
- Dr. Leslie Orr was awarded an American Academy of Religion Collaborative Research grant for research on "Making Heaven on Earth: A Preliminary study of the Nava Tirupati temples in South India," 2017, Principal Investigator with collaborators Crispin Branfoot (SOAS), Anna Seastrand (University of Chicago), and Archana Venkatesan (UC Davis). Support for this projecto also comes from the Davis Humanities Institute (University of California, Davis) Davis Collaborative Fellowship, 2017 and the Indian Cultural and Heritage Trust (TVS temple restoration fund), 2017-2020.
- Dr. Orr is also the recipient of a Social Sciences and Humanities Research Council of Canada Insight Development grant for research on "South Indian Inscriptions: Media, Messages, and Moblizations" (2 year grant).
- Dr. Lynda Clarke is co-applicant and recipient with Dr. Linda Darwish of St. Francis Xavier University of an SSHRC 5 year research grant entitled "Meaningful Journeys: Lived religion among Muslim refugees in Canada".
- Dr. Norma Joseph is collaborator on an SSHRC Insight Development Grant with Principal Investigators: Dr. Deidre Butler and Dr. Bettina Kusmarov of Carleton University for the project: "Jewish Divorce in Canada".