FAS celebrates excellence
For the second year in a row, the Faculty of Arts and Science (FAS) celebrated an expanded evening of awards to highlight excellence in the Faculty.
“We’ve traditionally held these awards to celebrate exceptional service from staff and Faculty,” says FAS Dean André Roy. “But last year, we thought it would be a good opportunity to honour other achievements within our Faculty – hence, the ‘Awards to Honour Excellence’ were born.”
Honorees included all new FAS research chairs, as well as awards for distinguished scholarship and other honours. Department of Psychology Professor Diane Poulin-Dubois was honoured for her recent win of the Prix ACFAS Thérèse Gouin-Décarie.
“The ACFAS award is a source of great pride for me and my students. It also has a ‘sentimental’ value for me as it is named after my mentor, Professor Thérèse Gouin Décarie from Université de Montréal, who gave me my first summer job as an undergraduate student: surrogate mother for two young chimpanzees. She was delighted to know that one of her former students received this award and said she felt ‘resurrected’,” says Poulin-Dubois.
The Dean kept to a tradition he started last year of asking each winner to sum up their research in a single sentence. “Last year, people said I didn’t give people enough time to prepare – so now you can all consider yourselves warned!” joked Dean Roy at the beginning of the ceremony.
"It really is a pleasure to receive this recognition for the impact of my research. This is essentially interdisciplinary work; work across fields, departments, faculties and institutions,” Leroux says.
“The Dean's Award encourages me to pursue non-traditional, sometimes unexpected paths to research and graduate supervision."
Dean Roy says he’s delighted members of his Faculty feel encouraged by the recognition, and plans to continue with the expanded awards next year.
“We have so many bright lights in our Faculty, so we should celebrate every opportunity to highlight their achievements. These awards are only one way of doing so, but are definitely a tradition we will continue.”
Complete list of winners from the 2016 FAS Dean’s Awards to Honour Excellence:
- Professor Alison Rowley, Department of History, for Teaching Excellence
- Professor Cerrie Rogers, Department of Chemistry and Biochemistry, for Teaching Excellence
- Professor Ann English, Department of Chemistry and Biochemistry, Distinguished Scholarship Award (Senior Category)
- Professor John Oh, Department of Chemistry and Biochemistry, Distinguished Scholarship (Mid-Career Category)
- Professor Patrick Leroux, Département d’études françaises, Distinguished Scholarship (Mid-Career Category)
- Ms. Nadine Wright, Department of Education, for Exceptional Service to the Faculty by Staff
- Professor Jin Suk Lee, Department of Biology, Concordia University Research Chair in Plant Science and Biotechnology (New Scholar)
- Professor Dajana Vuckovic, Department of Chemistry and Biochemistry, Concordia University Research Chair, Clinical Metabolomics, biomarkers, and Preventative Health (New Scholar)
- Professor Jean-Philippe Warren, Department of Sociology and Anthropology, Concordia Research Chair, Study of Quebec (Tier I)
- Professor Shimon Amir, Department of Psychology, University Research Award
- Professor Antoine Bilodeau, Department of Political Science, University Research Award
- Professor Guillaume Lamoureux, Department of Chemistry and Biochemistry, University Research Award
- Professor Jean-Philippe Lessard, Department of Biology, University Research Award
- Professor Mireille Paquet, Department of Political Science, University Research Award
- Professor Adrien Tsang, Department of Biology, University Research Award
- Professor Giuliana Cucinelli, Department of Education, Petro-Canada’s Young Innovators Award
- Professor Diane Poulin-Dubois, Department of Psychology, Prix ACFAS Thérèse Gouin-Décarie