How to make your favourite Vietnamese sub
Bánh mì with tempeh bacon
(Recipe makes four sandwiches)
4 pretzel-style hoagie buns (or your favourite bread!)
60 g julienned carrots
60 g julienned daikon
½ teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon sugar
3 tablespoons vinegar
¼ cup water
½ cup fresh cilantro leaves
1 cup hummus
½ cup hoisin sauce
1 tablespoon Sriracha sauce
120 g veggie pâté
½ cup baby spinach leaves
For tempeh bacon:
1 package (240 g) of Noble Bean tempeh (sliced into about 10 to 12 strips, ¼ inch thick)
¼ cup maple syrup
3 tablespoons tamari or soy sauce
¼ cup commercial barbecue sauce
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1¼ cups water
pinch of salt
pinch of clove powder, or a few whole clove pieces
¼ cup sunflower oil
- In a small bowl, combine carrots, daikon, salt, sugar, vinegar and water. Mix well. Cover and refrigerate for at least two hours.
- Prepare tempeh bacon. In a mixing bowl, combine maple syrup, tamari (or soy sauce), barbecue sauce, garlic powder, water, salt, clove powder (or whole clove pieces) and sunflower oil. Preheat oven to 375 °F.
- Place tempeh in a small casserole dish or glass pie plate. Cover in marinade and bake for half an hour, turning the tempeh once or twice.
- In a small bowl, mix the hummus, hoisin sauce and Sriracha sauce. Keep aside.
- Assemble your sandwich: split hoagie bun in half without tearing it open completely. Layer as follows onto the bun: hummus, hoisin and Sriracha mixture, baby spinach, veggie pâté, tempeh bacon and a generous amount of the marinated carrots and daikon. Sprinkle some cilantro leaves on top, and enjoy!
Find out more about what’s cooking at Concordia.