Crossing the convocation stage is momentous
“This degree is very important to me ... It is as meaningful as anything I’ve ever gotten in my life. And today is one of those incredibly meaningful days,” said Steve Wozniak as he accepted his honorary doctorate from Concordia University at spring convocation.
When the Apple Inc. co-founder took to the podium to address the crowd at Place des Arts, it was clear he spoke straight from the heart. He was not alone in expressing genuine emotion and warmth about this achievement. Speeches by the remaining five honorary doctorate recipients as well as the seven valedictorians were equally inspiring and emotional.
Wozniak was one of six distinguished individuals who received honorary doctorates from Concordia at the ceremonies this spring, held June 20 to 22:
- The Right Honourable Beverley McLachlin, PC, Supreme Court Chief Justice of Canada
- Rémi Quirion, Vice-Dean, Life Sciences and Strategic Initiatives for McGill University’s Faculty of Medicine
- Corinne Charette, engineer and Chief Information Officer for the Government of Canada
- Monique F. Leroux, Chair of the Board, President and Chief Executive Officer of Desjardins Group
- Theo Jansen, Dutch sculptor
More than 4,700 students proudly crossed the stage to receive their degrees, formally closing one chapter and embarking on yet another exciting stage of life.
Valedictorian Jean-François Bélanger (BA '11) delivered an address that illustrated the spirit and character of his alma mater. He thanked Concordia for providing him with “a world-class education.”
Watch Bélanger’s speech on Concordia’s YouTube channel as well as speeches by the remaining valedictorians and honorary doctorates.
Watch the address from Wozniak as he accepts his honorary doctorate from Concordia:
While convocation may be over, it is still possible to be a part of the celebration. Every moment of this spring’s convocation is available for online viewing.
For an inside look, watch the behind-the-scenes convocation report from Concordia journalism student David Adelman:
At the June 20 ceremony, L. Jacques Ménard was officially installed as the Concordia’s seventh chancellor. Read a recent interview with Ménard, chairman of the board of BMO Nesbitt Burns and president of BMO Financial Group, Québec.
• Special Journal issue: Great Grads — Concordia Journal, June 20, 2011
• Apple’s Steve Wozniak Preaches Innovation to Concordia Grads” — Montreal Gazette, June 23, 2011
• Honorary Doctorate Recipients Announced — NOW, May 3, 2011