Newsletter - July 2019
- On 18 June, MIGS had the honor of convening a meeting between Montreal’s business and human rights communities for an important discussion on Artificial Intelligence and human rights. MIGS’ Executive Director Kyle Matthews moderated a discussion between Michele Bachelet, the United Nations High Commissioner for Human Rights, Yoshua Bengio of MILA, and Jean-Francois Gagné, CEO of Element AI. MIGS staff were also invited to City Hall to attend a special ceremony where Michele Bachelet was made an honorary citizen of Montreal. Pictures of both events are available on our Facebook page.
MIGS supported an open letter to Canadian Foreign Affairs Minister Chrystia Freeland signed by Canadian Senators and civil society leaders, calling on Canada to take immediate action on the ongoing genocide against the Rohingya in Myanmar.
In the media
- MIGS Youth Fellow Zach Paikin contributed to an important new report published by the London School of Economics titled “Five Years After Maidan: Toward a Greater Eurasia?”
- Ahead of the #RightsCity Conference, MIGS collaborated with OpenCanada.org and asked some of the speakers to weigh in on the most pressing human rights issues today.
- Kyle Matthews gave an interview to CTV News Montreal about the importance of the #RightsCity Conference for human rights. Kyle also spoke to Breakfast Television Montreal about the event.
- MIGS Fellow Fannie Lafontaine explained to the use of “genocide” in the Final Report of the National Inquiry into Missing and Murdered Indigenous Women and Girls (MMIWG Report) in an article in the National Post titled “Laval prof who wrote MMIW inquiry's legal analysis defends use of 'genocide' in report.”
- Kyle Matthews is quoted in an editorial in La Presse titled “30e anniversaire du massacre de Tiananmen: le funeste heritage.”
- MIGS’ co-founder Dr. Frank Chalk gave a number of interviews following the publication of the MMIWG Report, including on CPAC, CBC’s The Current, The Wall Street Journal, CBC News, and RCI Internet Radio.
- Roméo Dallaire was quoted in La Presse and in Le Devoir regarding the Final MMIWG Report.
- Fannie Lafontaine gave an interview to Radio Canada’s Midi Info on the use of the term genocide in the Final MMIWG Report.
- MIGS’ Fellow Ewelina Ochab published an article in Forbes titled “We Are Not Equipped To Prevent Genocide.”
- Kyle Matthews and Irwin Cotler, chair of the Raoul Wallenberg Centre for Human Rights and former minister of justice of Canada, co-wrote an opinion piece in The Montreal Gazette titled “Canada should resist any urge to retreat from the world stage.”
- Ewelina Ochab wrote an article in Forbes titled “Towards The Elimination Of Sexual Violence In Conflict.”
- Phil Gurski wrote an article The Hill Times titled “We live in a world obsessed with terrorism, but Canada doesn’t have a terrorism problem.”
- Ewelina U. Ochab published an article in Forbes titled “Asia Bibi Has Won Her Battle, But Many More Christian Minorities Struggle For Justice In Pakistan.”
- Ewelina U. Ochab published an article in Forbes titled “The International Law Standards On Prohibition Of Torture Continue To Be Ignored.”