Newsletter - August 2019
- MIGS Fellow Naomi Kikoler moderated the event “Myanmar's Human Rights Crisis: Images from the Ground Informing Policy on the Hill” organized by the Simon-Skjodt Center for the Prevention of Genocide, American Jewish World Service, Amnesty International, and Physicians for Human Rights.
- MIGS hosted an event with MP Garnett Genuis to discuss Canadian foreign policy, democracy and human rights, in particularly the persecution of the Rohingya and how Canada could better respond to mass atrocity crimes.
In the media
- MIGS Fellow Fannie Lafontaine co-wrote an article on Justiceinfo.net titled “Canada's Genocide of Indigenous Peoples: Time for Decolonization.”
- MIGS Youth Fellow Levon Mouradian published a piece about deepfakes in The Montreal Gazette titled "Opinion: Deepfakes are upon us, and an effective response is essential."
- MIGS Youth Fellow Caroline Feldner wrote an article for OpenCanada titled “Why violence against female journalists must end.”
- Digital Fellow Phil Gurski wrote an article in The Hill Times titled “Would you shill for Osama bin Laden.”
- MIGS Fellow Ewelina Ochab published an article in Forbes titled “Let's Improve The Quality of Reporting On Issues Pertaining To Freedom of Religion Or Belief.”
- MIGS Youth Fellow Alexandrine Royer wrote an article on TheMantle.com titled “Why Youtube's Decision to Remove Far-Right Content Is Not Enough.”
- MIGS Fellow Ewelina Ochab published an article in Forbes titled “The World Finally Sees The Survivors Of Religious Persecution, Now We Must Act.”
- Phil Gurski wrote an article in The Hill Times titled “BCCLA case shows how ignorant Canadians really are about CSIS.”
- Ewelina Ochab published an article in Forbes titled “Nadia Murad Explains The Blueprint To Help Religious Communities In Iraq.”
- MIGS Fellow André Gagné wrote an article on The Conversation about the Christian right in the United States and its impact in Canada. The piece was also published in French on the HuffPost.
- MIGS Digital Fellow Joana Cook updated the dataset on the status of women and minors linked to ISIS and co-wrote an article with Gina Vale titled “From Daesh to ‘Diaspora’ II: The Challenges Posed by Women and Minors After the Fall of the Caliphate” published in the CTC Sentinel Journal.
- Phil Gurski published an article in The Hill Times titled “Why we must hold back on using the terrorism label.”
- Naomi Kikoler is quoted in an article titled “Second Ministerial for Religious Freedom Shines a Light on Intolerance and Genocide” published on EIN News Desk.
- Phil Gurski has a new article in The Hill Times titled “Why former spies and diplomats must have freedom to speak.”
- Ewelina Ochab wrote an important piece in Forbes in the need for justice for the survivors and the families of the victims of the genocide committed by Daesh.
- MIGS’ Youth Fellow Patrick Groeneveld-Meijer wrote a piece for the CBC titled “There's no easy path forward in Canada's dispute with China, but there is a moral one.”