Bricobio is a lab in Montreal composed of bio-scientists, bio-artists, and bioenthusiasts. They aim to transform life sciences and democratize biotechnology, while inspiring creativity and improving lives by building an inclusive global network, cultivating an accessible commons of knowledge and resources, launching community labs and projects, and enabling educators. From 10 a.m., to 6 p.m., come and join Birciobio for their mini-hackathon!
But what is a hackathon? Hackathons bring together people who work together to solve problems or work on projects, usually over a day or two. Sometimes there are prizes, or specific themes. At this event, the theme is synthetic biology. But, they'll be taking this casually. Bring your own ideas, bring your own questions, and everyone can trade!
From 10 a.m. to 5 p.m., come and hang out with the Briciobio lab! At 5 p.m., they'll be having a focused discussion on the topic of doing biotechnology and science outside of institutions. Over the past 15 years, many spaces and organizations around the world have started hosting shared labs or spaces just for doing biotech/bioart work in communities. Bricobio itself has existed as a community since 2013. At this town hall session, they'll talk about some of the interesting work that comes out of these spaces, the challenges in operating them, and about what the local community feels about building our own citizen biotech community.
What you should bring:
- Laptops, books, notebooks, or whatever you feel might be useful for hacking/research
- Hardware hacking stuff
- Bio/wetware hacking stuff (Please send us an email at email@example.com to confirm before bringing in wetware. This is so that we can manage environment, health and safety in the space.)
- Presentations or research ideas that you would like to share (we'll have an unconference schedule for the day)
What Bricobio will bring:
- Kits from Amino.bio to make smelling/colored bacteria and inks. http://amino.bio
- A few microcontrollers and some other electronics kits.
- Basic lab equipment (glassware, pipettes, tubes, etc.)