The activities of the Institute are managed by the Director, Csaba Nikolenyi (Political Science) and the Associate Director, Norma Joseph (Religions and Cultures) and coordinated by an Academic Advisory Group. In addition, an External Advisory Board consisting of representatives from community organizations, philanthropic associations and the corporate sector was established to facilitate the Institute's outreach and strengthen its relations with the various communities represented.
About the Institute
The Azrieli Institute of Israel Studies is a multi-disciplinary research centre that brings together students, faculty and researchers who are dedicated to the study of Israel in all its facets.
Created in 2011, through a major gift from the Azrieli Foundation, the Institute strives to foster, promote and support graduate training, faculty based research projects, conferences, public lectures and exchange programs in Israel Studies in the vastly diverse fields of archaeology, history, religion, political science, economics, art, literature, anthropology and sociology.
- A minor in Israel Studies at the undergraduate level
- Promoting faculty-based projects and fostering research and teaching that contribute to the study of the state of Israel, locally, nationally and internationally.
- Hosting regular lectures, conferences and events by recognized scholars and world renowned experts
- Supporting visiting professors as well as graduate students through graduate fellowships and student exchanges
- Collaborating with Concordia academics already involved with or interested in Israel Studies, as well as other researchers in Montreal and throughout Canada.
- Promoting teaching, research and scholarship