The Disability Awareness & Empathy BuildingToolkit
The Centre for the Arts in Human Development has developed and publishedThe Disability Awareness and Empathy Building Toolkit, for use in both elementary and high schools. The concept of the toolkit emerged from our SSHRC funded research in performance ethnography and a subsequent project in elementary and high schools that looked at developing understanding of the lives of people with intellectual and developmental disabilities.
The toolkit contains:
- an overview of intellectual and developmental disabilities in Canada
- a copy of the DVD, "In Their Own Voices," a documentary developed about the performance ethnography process and performance. This educational documentary warmly presents how this group of people with intellectual and developmental disabilities view themselves and their interactions with the world around them, and offers viewers a glimpse into their dreams, aspirations and hopes for the future.
- a DVD discussion guide
- activities and assignment
- a guide to external resources for more information
- a suggested bibliography and filmography
Preview sample pages and activities from The Disability Awareness and Empathy Building Toolkit.
Watch a preview of the DVD In Their Own Voices, included in the Toolkit.
Order the toolkit today
The cost of the toolkit is $150.00 CAD each, which includes taxes and S&H in Canada.
Please send a cheque for $150.00 CAD (which includes taxes and S&H in Canada) for each toolkit, payable to: "Concordia University (CAHD)".
For prices in the United States please contact us:
- Public outreach
- Past performances
- Oh! That Aladdin
- The Winds of Oz
- And Alice Dreams
- The Legend of Pinocchio
- Romeo & Juliet on Dante Street
- 10th Anniversary Celebration
- It's a Wonderful World
- Once Upon a Midsummer Night
- The Frog & the Princess: A Musical Ecodrama
- Our World: A Musical Ethnodrama
- The Amazing Adventure of Relationships: A Musical Ethnodrama
- 20th Anniversary Show
- The Disability Awareness & Empathy BuildingToolkit
- Benefit concerts
- Art exhibits
- Past performances