What is the CELPIP test?
The Canadian English Language Proficiency Index Program (CELPIP) is an English language proficiency test accepted by a number of governments, professional organizations, and employers as proof of English language proficiency.
The test provides a valid and reliable measurement of a test taker’s English abilities in a variety of everyday situations, such as communicating with co-workers and superiors in the workplace, interacting with friends, understanding newscasts, and interpreting and responding to written materials.
Which version of the test?
There are two versions of the CELPIP Test:
- The CELPIP-General Test: The CELPIP-General Test assesses functional listening, reading, writing, and speaking skills, and is accepted by Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) as proof of English language proficiency for permanent residency in Canada. Other organizations that accept the CELPIP-General Test include the Real Estate Council of British Columbia (RECBC) and Immigration Consultants of Canada Regulatory Council (ICCRC).
- The CELPIP-General LS Test: The CELPIP-General LS Test assesses functional listening and speaking proficiency, and is accepted by IRCC as proof of English language proficiency for Canadian citizenship, and is also accepted for professional designations.
- CELPIP is a computer-delivered test completed in one sitting
- The test includes a personal timer, word counter, and spell-check
- The test is conducted in easy-to-understand “North American accent” English
- Vocabulary is taken from everyday situations
- Quick online results are available in 8 business days
- CELPIP – General total test time is about 3 hours and is completed in one sitting (reading, writing, listening, speaking)
- CELPIP - LS total test time is about 1h10m and is completed in one sitting (listening, speaking)