About the Quebec permanent code
Everyone needs a permanent code if they study in Quebec. There are no exceptions. If you do not have a permanent code, you will pay a surcharge on top of your tuition fees.
Permanent code surcharge
Concordia adds a surcharge to your fees if you do not provide us with required permanent code information. This surcharge covers the funding withheld by the Quebec government when Concordia does not provide them with a student's permanent code.
This surcharge is also applied if you provide us with a permanent code that is:
- Invalid or fictitious
- Cannot be processed (e.g. a permanent code from a francophone university)
You will be billed at the time of registration if we do not have your permanent code. When you provide the information, the surcharge will be removed subject to the following deadlines:
- Summer Admission: August 15
- Fall Admission: December 15
- Winter Admission: April 15
If it you submit information after that date, the billing will remain and interest charges will accrue.
Existing permanent codes
- 12 character code that consists of the first 3 letters of the family name, the first letter of the given name, the date of birth (day, month [the female gender is identified by adding 50], year) and 2 validation numbers as determined by the Ministère de l’Éducation et de l’Enseignement supérieur (MEES). The number 62 is added to the day of birth of all students born after 1999.
You will have already been assigned a permanent code if you attended:
- High School or CEGEP in Quebec or if
- You have received Quebec Financial Aid
To find it, look at your school records. Check for it in the:
- Upper right hand corner of your CEGEP transcript
- Upper left-hand corner of your High School Transcript
- Upper right-hand corner of the Financial Aid Notice and Detailed Calculation Form.
If you attended a francophone university in Quebec, you may have been assigned a university permanent code. That code is valid only for that university. Concordia cannot use that permanent code.
You must register for a new code.
New permanent codes
|Citizenship status||Place of Birth||Required document|
|Canadian citizen||Canada||Birth Certificate|
|Outside Canada||Certificate of Canadian Citizenship|
|Permanent resident||Outside Canada||IMM5292 (permanent resident document) or both sides of the Permanent Resident of Canada card|
|International student||Outside Canada||Study period of 6 months or less: passport|
|Study period of more than 6 months: Student authorization (study permit)
View an example of a study permit.
|Refugee||Outside Canada||Document from Immigration Canada|
|Diplomatic status, special permit from Immigration Canada||Outside Canada||Document from Immigration Canada|
|Other||Please email Code.Permanent@concordia.ca|
Undergraduate Students and Graduate Students please include your Concordia Student I.D. number.
Mail them to:
Office of the Registrar
1455 De Maisonneuve Blvd. West
Montreal, Quebec H3G 1M8
Fax them to:
Deliver them to:
Birks Student Service Centre
Room LB 185
1400 De Maisonneuve Blvd. West
1400 Maisonneuve Blvd. W.
Tel: 514-848-2424, ext. 2668