Inorganic Chemistry I CHEM 241
Below is a list of resources helpful in completing the lab assignments for CHEM 241. If you need help in using these resources, please contact the chemistry librarian.
- Dictionary of Inorganic Compounds: Located in print in the Vanier Reference area. Will give information on the colour. For example, Magnesium Chloride (listed under Cl2Mg) is listed as a white rhombohedral crystal.
- Encyclopedia of Inorganic Chemistry: Located in print and online. Will give information on the colour. For example, Section 7 of the article entitled Copper: Inorganic & Coordination Chemistry lists the colours for Copper I and Copper II.
- Vogel’s qualitative inorganic analysis: Located in print in Vanier Reserve. Chapter 3 gives information on the reactions of cations with ammonia and other compounds. Other books on the Vanier 3rd floor in the call number range QD 80 to QD 102 could be helpful.
- Journal of Chemical Education: Provides good articles written by professors who explain what they did in their chemistry labs. Many articles will describe very similar labs you may do throughout your chemistry degree. The search box is on the right hand side of the screen. Do very simple one or two word searches, for example a compound name or reaction name. For example, a search for "dimethylglyoxime" will find a great article entitled "Microscopic Identification of the Crystals of Dimethylglyoxime Complexes of Cobalt (II), Iron (II), and Nickel (11)". A search for "cations" find an article entitled "Qualitative Analysis of Cations Using Paper Chromatography."
Some of the information you need is in print reference books in the library. Before using these resources, it's best to find the CAS Registry Number (CAS RN) for the racemic mixture. You can find this online:
- ChemIDplus: search for Cupric glycinate
With the CAS RN, you can find information in the following books:
- Merck Index: Located at the Vanier Reference desk. Will give information on the racemic mixture of Bis Glycinato Copper II. Use the CAS RN Index to find the entry for the compound in the book.
- Dictionary of Inorganic Compounds: Located in Vanier Reference. Will give information on the racemic mixture, and the cis and trans forms of Bis Glycinato Copper II (including colour and CAS RN). Use the CAS RN Index to find the entry for the compound in the book.
With the CAS RN of cis and trans forms, you can find information such as IR in the following location: