Student Success Centre
SGW: (514) 848-2424, ext. 3921
LOY: (514) 848-2424, ext. 3921
About the Student Success Centre
Prepared for Today, Ready for Tomorrow
The Student Success Centre is a welcoming support network of resources and opportunities to engage and empower you as a student to realize your individual, academic and long-term goals – bridging academic experience with personal and professional development.
We are here to help!
Our professional staff and student team can assist you at every stage of your journey in becoming an academically-skilled and career-prepared graduate, equipped to meet the future.
1. Transition into university life successfully
Especially in their first semester, New Students need to absorb a lot of new information and adapt to the unique demands of a student schedule and life style. Whether you are entering university straight out of CEGEP or high school, or re-entering the academic world after a hiatus, starting a university program is a big step. Two main ressources can help you through your first year:
- Orientation encompasses several events and activities that help you get your bearings and promote a rewarding first-year experience.
- The Welcome Crew Mentor program runs a drop-in office staffed by knowledgeable upper-year students from each faculty keen to share their own experiences. All first year students are welcome to call or drop in to the Welcome Crew office to speak with a mentor.
2. Develop your academic skills
The Learning Support services at the Student Success Centre cover things like one-on-one support from a specialist tailored to your learning style and challenges, study groups, exam prep for specific courses in Math and Economics, peer tutoring for MATH 200- 209; COMM 215, 217, 305; ACCO 230 and 240, and language conversation groups. We are here to help you build your own tool box for academic success.
3. Plan your career and find employment
The Career and Planning Services (CAPS) team can help you understand your career options based on your field, goals and interests, as well as plan and prepare your job search. Individual appointments are available for career counselling to define your goals or decide if you are in the right major, and career advising to develop your job searching tools such as your CV and interview skills. Workshops, an online job bank, employer fairs, information sessions and on-campus interviews and career panels are also available to students.
4. Celebrate success
The Centre supports Concordia applicants for the prestigious Rhodes scholarship, and is expanding its profile of application assistance for competitive student awards and scholarships in the coming years.
In addition to regular workshops and study groups, the Student Success Centre offers multiple outreach events over the course of the academic year. Check out the centre’s calendar of events to find out what’s coming up!
New programs and opportunities are also always in the works, and we are moving to a new space in 2019. Stay tuned and connect with us on Facebook!
Have an idea for a workshop? Students, faculty and staff are welcome to send us requests or feedback by writing to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Our mission, vision and values
Through a series of ‘visioning’ sessions with our staff and students, the Student Success Centre team developed a mission, vision and values statement of our purpose and aims.
We are a welcoming community working collaboratively to engage and empower every student to achieve individual, academic and professional success.
Prepared for today, ready for tomorrow.
- Empowering student growth and development by building skills through individualized appointments, workshops and print/online materials, and by mentoring and encouraging students through peer and professional support (including listening, validating and coaching).
- Demonstrating respect by understanding and responding to needs, and acknowledging diversity by sensitively taking this into account.
- Making connections by providing resources and fostering relationships through listening and outreach.
- Making a difference by being aware of and responsive to the Concordia community by providing guidance, resources and expertise.
- Collaborating with students, faculty, staff, alumni, industry professionals, employers, and other universities, through programming, services and events to achieve student success, and across units to create joint projects to reflect our mission and vision.
- Student Success Centre
- About the Student Success Centre
- New students
- Learning support
- Career and Planning Services
- Rhodes Scholarships
- Welcome Crew Mentors