Student eligibility for the Work-study program
If you are interested in securing a Work Study job, there are some steps you must follow - and we can help you along the way.
Before you can apply for a Work Study job, you must apply for a Work Study Authorization.
To be considered for participation in the Work-study program students must meet all of the following minimum criteria:
- Enrolled in a degree program (Bachelors, Masters or PhD.)
- Studying full time (see Academic Information: Definitions and Regulations by clicking Here or the Graduate Calendar by clicking Here for details)
- For summer, undergraduate students must be registered for six credits or more.
- Making satisfactory academic progress (GPA over 2.0)
- For Canadian students: Be receiving government student aid for the current academic year.*
- For International students: Be at least in their second year of attendance at Concordia University, paying the full international rate and experiencing an exceptional financial difficulty
*Conditional work study authorizations may be issued once a student has applied for government student aid
Apply for Work-study authorization
Work-study authorization is required for potential employers to know you have met the eligibility requirements for the program. A new Work-study authorization is required each academic year.
For the 2018-2019 academic year, here are the key dates you need to know:
Summer Term: Applications for Work-study program authorization will be accepted between March 1, 2018 and April 6, 2018. Jobs will be posted as of April 1, 2018.
Fall Term: Applications for Work-study program authorization will be accepted between June 15, 2018 and July 15, 2018. Jobs will be posted as of August 1, 2018.
Winter Term: Applications for Work-study program authorization will be accepted between October 15, 2018 and November 15, 2018. Jobs will be posted as of December 1, 2018.
Here are the steps to follow to apply for Work-study authorization. Please remember that approval to participate in the program does not guarantee you employment.
- Log on to your MyConcordia Portal
- Click on “My Student Centre” on the left side of the screen
- Click on “My Student Centre”
- In the middle of the page, under Finances/Financial Aid, click on “Apply for Bursaries or Scholarships”
- Choose “Concordia Aid Year 18-19”
- Choose Aid Declaration
- After you complete your Aid Declaration, the online application of the Work-Study program will be available to you under Awards Applications. Please complete and submit.
- Approvals for participation in the program are issued by e-mail within 10 business days of receiving a completed application and no later than the job posting date of the term.
- Approvals are issued in three categories: Quebec (Q), Rest of Canada (C) and International (I). Please remember which category you have been approved for as you will need to apply for positions in the same approval category.
- Approval is conditionally granted for the entire academic year in the term that all the eligibility requirements are met. All eligibility criteria must be maintained for the full period of approved Work-study participation. Eligibility is verified throughout the term and students who are no longer eligible will not be able to participate. If you have experienced a change in circumstances, please contact the Financial Aid and Awards Office.
How to apply for positions
Once you have received your Work-study approval, it’s time to find that job! Check out the listings Here. Please remember to apply only to jobs that match the category of approval you have received – Q, C or I. Interested employers will contact you directly to set up potential interviews. Please make sure you bring your Work-study approval to the interview.
If you are hired under the Work-study program, your employer will negotiate your salary and arrange for payment directly with you. They will also let us know that you’ve been hired and the position is filled.
All Work-study positions are Casual appointments as defined in the Human Resources Introduction and Definitions Policy HR1.
Please remember, you must maintain ALL the program eligibility requirements throughout the entire period you are working in a Work-study position. Eligibility is verified per semester and ineligible students will not be able to participate in the program. If you have experienced a change in circumstances, please let us know as soon as possible.
For further information...
If you have any questions about your application for a Work Study Authorization, or if you need further information about the Work Study Program, please contact the Financial Aid and Awards Office in person, or by email at: firstname.lastname@example.org.