The Annual Application Process
At Concordia University, the loan application process is "borrower initiated," which means that each academic year, you must fill out your FASFA and submit your loan documents if you wish to apply for Federal Student Aid. Applying for Federal Student Aid at a foreign school is different from applying to a U.S. school. Documents are not automatically sent to Concordia.
Below, are the important dates you must keep in mind when completing your application. We have also included a step-by-step application process you can follow to help ensure that your funding is available at the beginning of your academic term.
The new deadlines for application and submitting documents for the 2022-2023 are as follows:
|Summer 2022||April 15, 2022|
|Fall/Winter 2022-2023||June 3, 2022|
|Winter 2023||October 31, 2022|
Please email firstname.lastname@example.org when you have uploaded your documents.
Please follow the following steps to ensure your documents are received. Your U.S loan application must be submitted securily in your CU Account through your Student Centre. Documents sent via email will not be accepted.
Don't forget to email email@example.com to notify our office you have uploaded your documents.
Your to-do list:
- Complete your FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid) to make sure you are eligible for Federal Student Aid. This will produce your SAR (Student Aid Report) with your EFC (Expected Family Contribution). This should be done as early as possible. Both you and your parents will need to have filed your personal income taxes for 2021. Our school code is G08365.
- Accept your Concordia University offer of admission.
- Contact the Financial Aid & Awards Office to confirm your program is eligible for FSA.
- Book an appointment with your Academic Advisor as soon as you are accepted.
- Register for your courses (Registration opens in March for most programs).
- Familiarize yourself with the loan process and your rights and responsibilities as a borrower by completing the Entrance Counselling online.
- If you are in one of the following situations, you must complete and submit your Exit Counselling even if you haven't applied for graduation yet:
- 2022-2023 is my final year
- I have accumulated the credits required to graduate
- Complete a Direct Loan Master Promissory Note (MPN). This is a binding legal document in which you agree to repay your loan under certain terms. Borrowers outside of the U.S need to submit and MPN every year. The Direct Loan Master Promissory Note is e-signed.
- Download and complete the Concordia University U.S Loan Application.
- Upload the following documents to your Student Centre in one-single PDF file:
- Your Entrance or Exit Counselling
- Your 2022-2023 Student Aid Report
- Your Direct Loan Master Promissory Note (MPN) - Pages 1 to 4
- Your 2022-2023 Concordia U.S Loan Application
- Email firstname.lastname@example.org to notify our office that your documents have been uploaded.
For students applying for PRIVATE U.S LOANS only, please complete and upload the 2022-2023 U.S Concordia Private Loan Application Form to your Student Centre and email our office.
Should you wish to give someone else permission to make inquiries regarding your financial aid file, or any other information concerning your status at Concordia, you and your proxy must take the appropriate steps to ensure a notarized proxy authorization form and identification documents are submitted to the Financial Aid & Awards Office, or present yourself with your proxy at our office to complete the authorized proxy form in front of an authorized Financial Aid Advisor.
As all Title IV post-secondary institutions schools are now equated to financial institutions and are subject to the requirements of the Gramm-Leach-Bliley Act (GLBA, 2002); implementing the appropriate safeguards regarding students' personal information is required.
Applying for Federal Student Aid at a Foreign School is different from applying to a U.S. school. Documents are not automatically sent to Concordia.
For students applying for US Title IV Aid please upload the following documents as one single PDF:
- Entrance or Exit counselling
- 2022-2023 Student Aid Report
- Master Promissory Note (Pages 1-4)
- 2022-2023 US Concordia Application Form
For students applying for US private loans only, please upload the 2022-2023 U.S Concordia Private Loan Application Form.
Please note that emailed documents will not be accepted.
To begin your application, click on "Apply for Bursaries or Scholarships" on your Student Centre.
Complete the Aid Declaration for 2022-2023 indicating you have applied for US Aid.
Click on Award Applications and then "Click here to attach documents" (bottom left).
3. Select the Document Type you are uploading (US Loan Application). Upload your application documents as one single PDF.
4. Email email@example.com with the subject title US Loan Application ID#******* (your student ID number) to confirm your documents have been uploaded.
Your file will then be assigned to a Financial Aid Advisor who will email you to confirm receipt of your documents. Please take note that this may take a few days due to the volume of applications we receive.
After receipt of your application, our office will:
1. Assign you to a Financial Aid Advisor.
2. The Advisor will send you an email confirming the receipt of your application and let you know of any missing information or documents.
3. Once your application is complete, your Advisor will calculate your Cost of Attendance for the semesters in which you are fully enrolled.
4. The Advisor will calculate the maximum amounts of financial aid that you are eligible to borrow.
5. The Advisor will email you this information in your Notification of Financial Aid Offer letter.
6. If your parents have applied for a Parent Plus Loan, they will also receive notification.
7. All borrowers must reply directly to their Notification of Financial Aid Offer email to confirm how much of the eligible loan funds they wish to borrow.
In the Direct Loan program, the U.S. Department of Education sends all funding via electronic transfer.
- Your FSA funds are disbursed on a per semester basis. If you are enrolled in the Fall and Winter semesters, you will receive two disbursements: one per semester.
- These funds are available after the University’s posted course drop/add date
- You will receive an email from the Financial Aid Office confirming that your funds have arrived at Concordia University
Our office will make every attempt to get your student aid funding to you as quickly as possible. However, if your application is late we cannot guarantee your funding will arrive by Concordia’s payment due date.
Please note that the U.S. exchange rate is effective the day the loan is posted to your student account online statement.