Laboratory Technician, The Genome Foundry
Job Type: Full-Time, On Contract
Duration: 1 year, renewable
Location: Concordia University, 7141 Sherbrooke St West, GE building, Montreal, QC, H4B 1R6
The Concordia Centre for Applied Synthetic Biology (CASB) is Canada’s first research centre focused on Synthetic Biology. The Centre operates the Genome Foundry for Synthetic Biology, a unique CFI and NRC-funded technology platform that aspires to accelerate the design-build-test cycle of biological engineering (concordia.ca/genomefoundry).
The Centre has an urgent need for a Laboratory Technician with a background in applied synthetic biology. The Laboratory Technician is needed to support the microbial genome engineering activities of the Genome Foundry. These activities include but are not limited to high-throughput genome editing using the Genome Foundry’s automation and LIMS platforms.
The Laboratory Technician will report to the Genome Foundry Platform Coordinators and set priorities in consultation with them and the Centre Director, Dr. Vincent Martin.
This is a key position of the Genome Foundry; the Laboratory Technician will need to display a high level of initiative, drive, and accountability.
- Coordinate work and report to the Platform Coordinators to develop and streamline workflows.
- Perform validated day-to-day operations in support of platform research activities.
- Responsible for operating an integrated robotics workstation.
- Responsible for routine maintenance of equipment.
- Responsible for upkeep of inventory (labware, consumables, reagents, DNA part stocks, competent cells).
- Work in interdisciplinary teams and collaborate with scientists on several projects in parallel.
- Master’s or equivalent qualification in Biology or relevant field.
- Minimum of three years of experience or the equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Minimum of one year of exerience with laboratory automation.
- Proficiency in performing genetic manipulation.
- Experience with yeast culturing and genetics is an asset.
- Experience with computer programming is an asset.
The position is available immediately. Applicants should send (by e-mail) their curriculum vitae, the names and contact information of three referees, and cover letter to the address below. Only selected candidates will be contacted.
Research and Administrative Coordinator
Centre for Applied Synthetic Biology
Concordia University hires on the basis of merit and is committed to employment equity. We encourage all qualified applicants to apply. In accordance with Canadian Immigration requirements, priority will be given to Canadian citizens and Permanent Residents.