Title: Research and Administrative Coordinator
Position Type: Full-Time, Maternity leave replacement starting August 1st, 2020
Location: Centre for Applied Synthetic Biology, Concordia University
The position is in administrative support of the Centre for Applied Synthetic Biology (CASB) at Concordia University and for several concurrent research projects within the CASB (co-directors Drs. Vincent Martin and Nawwaf Kharma). Projects are currently funded by multiple internal and external grants. The position is a maternity leave replacement for one year.
• Serve as primary administrative support contact for Centre co-directors
• Organize and participate in project meetings (meeting logistics, travel, etc.) and different events (symposia, workshops, conferences, journal club meetings, etc.)
• Develop communication, outreach, entrepreneurship and academic programs (social media presence, website creation and management, requests for news articles, participation in outreach events, etc.)
• Support the Centre co-directors in the production of scientific, administrative and budgetary documents as required by the projects and the granting institutions
• Coordinate and ensure effective and productive communication between the PIs of the Centre located within and outside Concordia University.
• Coordinate and ensure proper communication between the PIs and the granting agencies (coordinating and assembling grant applications, including providing budgets for large grant applications).
• Responsible for recruiting and managing human resources within the projects of the Centre and the Centre co-directors.
• Responsible for tracking and managing the progress and deliverables of the projects of the Centre, and of the Centre co-directors, to ensure that milestones and other criteria are met (Genome Foundry: equipment purchase, installation, training, repair and maintenance).
• Track budgets and produce interim budget reports for the projects and the Centre.
• Support the CASB co-directors in day to day management of the projects (space allocation, allocating resources, overseeing purchasing, negotiating special pricing on equipment and supplies)
Dynamic, independent, and expected to show strong leadership in identifying and initiating tasks outlined in the job description above. Excellent at planning, multi-tasking and detail oriented, the research and administrative coordinator must have outstanding communication skills and the ability to work within a large team.
• Masters degree in Life Sciences or related fields is a strong asset
• Formal academic training in management or administration are a strong asset but not required
• 1-3 years experience in project, laboratory management or other administrative/management-type position
• Spoken and written mastery of the English language is a must and aptitude in French desirable but not required
• Excellent communication skills and leadership
• Proficient in MS Excel and Word
To apply for the position, send an electronic copy of your CV along with a cover letter to Audrey Morin at the following e-mail email@example.com. Only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
Concordia University hires on the basis of merit and is committed to employment equity. We encourage all qualified applicants to apply. In accordance with Canadian Immigration requirements, priority will be given to Canadian citizens and Permanent Residents.