Research Associate / Genome Foundry Platform Coordinator, Microbial Cell Engineering
Classification: Research Associate under the CARE union at Concordia University
Salary: $26.68/hr to $36.94/hr
Weekly Hours: 38.5
Duration: 1 year, renewable
Start Date: as of mid-October 2023
Principal Investigator or Immediate Supervisor: Dr. Vincent Martin
Location: 7141 Sherbrooke St West, GE building, Montreal, QC, H4B 1R6
Unit: Centre for Applied Synthetic Biology at Concordia University
Concordia University's Centre for Applied Synthetic Biology (CASB) is a pioneering research center dedicated to advancing foundational technologies in synthetic biology and their application to address emerging challenges in environmental protection, sustainable manufacturing, agriculture, food production, and drug development. CASB also champions ethical and responsible innovation through transparent communication and public engagement. The CASB houses the Genome Foundry, a cutting-edge synthetic biology technology platform (www.genomefoundry.ca) that facilitates the rapid design, construction, and testing of genetically engineered cells or organisms for biotechnology applications, supporting in-house research and serving laboratories globally.
The Centre for Applied Synthetic Biology (CASB) at Concordia University is seeking a Research Associate to contribute to concurrent service contracts and collaborative research projects. This Research Associate will support startups, SMEs, and both internal and external collaborations by facilitating research agreements.
The Research Associate will play a pivotal role in the CASB team, serving as the Platform Coordinator for the microbial suite within the Genome Foundry. The candidate must demonstrate initiative, drive, and accountability. Reporting to and working closely with the Centre Co-Director, Dr. Vincent Martin, the Platform Coordinator will assume the following responsibilities:
- Collaborate with Genome Foundry members to optimize workflows.
- Operate and maintain automated DNA building and microbial cell engineering workstations.
- Develop, document, and update standard operating procedures for DNA building and cell engineering using automation.
- Lead and manage scientific projects, ensuring timely completion of milestones.
- Track, store, and curate data generated from high-throughput strain development processes.
- Provide scientific mentorship and technical training.
- Prepare and deliver engaging presentations at conferences and scientific meetings to effectively communicate Genome Foundry Platform research findings, capabilities, and advancements.
- Perform and oversee day-to-day platform research activities.
- Conduct meetings with users and clients during project onboarding and results dissemination.
- Oversee operation, maintenance, and scheduling of instrumentation.
- Oversee upkeep of laboratory inventory, including consumables, DNA stocks, and strain collections.
- Collaborate effectively within interdisciplinary teams and contribute to multiple concurrent projects while adhering to project deadlines and reporting cycles.
- Master's or equivalent qualification in Biology or a relevant field.
- A minimum of three years of pertinent work experience or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- A minimum of three years of experience in microbial cell engineering and/or synthetic biology.
- Proficiency in current molecular biology techniques (e.g., CRISPR, Golden Gate, homologous recombination).
- Experience with yeast culturing and genetics is an asset.
- Familiarity with laboratory automation is an asset.
- Experience with next-generation sequencing library preparation is an asset.
- Experience with analytical techniques such as flow cytometry and mass spectrometry is an asset.
- Programming skills (Python or R) are an asset.
- Demonstrated passion for biotechnology and synthetic biology is favorable.
Interested applicants should submit their curriculum vitae, along with the names and contact information of three referees, and a cover letter via email to:
Research Operations Manager
Centre for Applied Synthetic Biology, GE120.23
Perks & Benefits
- Competitive salary
- Health benefits through Concordia University
- On-site Health Services Clinic
- Pension plan
- Paid parental leave
- Flexible paid vacation
- Daily shuttle bus to and from downtown Montreal
- On-site gym and parking (fee applicable)
- Learning resources
Concordia University hires on the basis of merit and is committed to employment equity. We encourage all qualified applicants to apply. In accordance with Canadian Immigration requirements, priority will be given to Canadian citizens and Permanent Residents.