Privacy Notice for external applicants
Information for persons seeking employment at Concordia University about the treatment of Personal Information.
The Concordia Career Site (the “Site”) lists employment opportunities within Concordia University and provides a process for candidates to apply for jobs and to maintain their candidate profiles up to date.
When applying for a job or updating your candidate profile using the Site, your Personal Information is collected and stored on the Site. This Privacy Notice sets out the basis upon which we collect, use, store, share and secure that information provided to us. The term “job applicant” or “you”, as used in this Privacy Notice, means individuals who apply for, or are in the process of being considered for, employment at Concordia University.
Collection of your Personal Information
Personal Information is collected for the purpose of hiring to fill employment vacancies. Personal Information submitted on the Site is collected and processed by Concordia University in accordance with applicable legislation. The Personal Information that may be collected includes:
- Recruitment information - cover letter, curriculum vitae, résumé, educational background, training, professional background, information related to your eligibility to work in Canada, and on a voluntary basis, employment equity and diversity information;
- Contact information - name, telephone number, home address, personal email address;
- Career and job performance information - job level/position, details of skills and experience from references provided by the job applicant;
- Background check information - authorized by the job applicant if required for the position for which they are applying and to the extent allowed by applicable legislation, including information about judicial disputes and criminal records;
- Biographical information – information required for us to process your hire, including your date of birth and assigned gender at birth.
Use of Personal Information
As a job applicant, your Personal Information, excluding biographical information, will be used to assess suitability for a job for which you have applied. More specifically, Concordia University will use the Personal Information provided by you as well as information that may be collected from other sources as part of the job application process to:
- evaluate your application for employment, communicate with you about your application, conduct any necessary or appropriate background checks, comply with our diversity and equity policy and manage any aspects of your prospective employment relationship with Concordia;
- verify and validate information provided by the applicant such as contacting references, as authorized by the job applicant;
- comply with legal obligations including administrative and human resources obligations, where applicable.
Disclosure of Personal Information
Your Personal Information will be shared with Concordia staff for the sole purpose of completing the recruitment process.
Your Personal Information may also be shared with external service providers whose role is to complete background checks for the application process, should this be required, and with your authorization.
Personal Information submitted to us may be transferred to, stored and processed on servers located outside of Québec, including on the cloud. The Site is powered by a third party service provider, SuccessFactors. Personal Information provided as part of your job application with Concordia University will be processed by SuccessFactors on behalf of Concordia. Concordia University does not authorize SuccessFactors to use your Personal Information for reasons other than those included in the existing agreement between Concordia University and SuccessFactors, nor to disclose it to third parties.
Additionally, Concordia may disclose your Personal Information to courts, law enforcement, or other government agencies in order to comply with legal and regulatory requests. Such information may be disclosed to:
- Protect your or Concordia University’s legal claims and interests;
- Defend against potential or actual litigation;
- Abide by applicable law, regulation or contracts; or
- Respond to a court order, Concordia administrative processes or judicial processes including, but not limited to, a subpoena or a search warrant.
Retention of Personal Information
If you complete but do not submit an online job application (i.e. by pressing the “Submit” button), your Personal Information will not be retained. It is only by submitting your application that we will gain access to your information and consider your application for potential employment.
Should your application be successful, Concordia will retain your Personal Information in conformity with applicable legislation and University policies.
Confirmation and consent
You can view the following Privacy Notice by selecting the Data Privacy Notice button when logged into your candidate profile:
I confirm that the statements made by me in my profile and job application (including supporting documents) are true and complete. I understand and agree that a false statement may disqualify me from the application/recruitment process, or after employment, this may result in disciplinary action.
I have read and understood this Privacy Notice and consent to the processing of my Personal Information in accordance with this Privacy Notice.
By clicking “Accept”, you agree to the terms set out in this Privacy Notice. If you do not agree to these terms, please press “Decline”. However, please note that by pressing “Decline”, you will not be able to proceed with your job application and your applicant profile will be deleted.