Mitacs Globalink Research Internships at Concordia
Since 2012, Concordia has been pleased to welcome an increasing number of Mitacs Globalink Research Interns (GRIs) to conduct faculty-supervised research internships for 12 weeks between May and September each year.
Coming to Concordia as a Globalink Research Intern (GRI)
- As a GRI at Concordia, you are considered as an Academic Visitor rather than a student. Please review the Policy on Academic Visitors (VPRGS-10) for more information about what this implies.
- Once Mitacs has confirmed your placement at Concordia, your host professor will need to submit a Mitacs Academics Visitors form to Concordia International. Your host supervisor or Concordia International may contact you if there is any missing information to complete the form.
- Once the Mitacs Academic Visitor form is received by Concordia International, you will get a letter outlining the details of your placement at Concordia. Ensure that you sign and return the Acceptance Form as instructed in the document.
- You are responsible for obtaining any travel documents to visit Canada. For more information regarding visas, please visit Mitac (Mitacs information). Any questions about visas and processes should be directed to Mitacs at email@example.com.
Status at Concordia
As an Academic Visitor, you will not be able to register for courses and you will not have access to the same types of services offered to registered, tuition-paying Concordia students.
It is important to note that as an Academic Visitor, you will not be eligible for reduced fares on the metro and bus systems. According to the regulations of the Société de transport de Montréal (STM), in order to qualify for the reduced-fare transit pass, you must be a full-time student at an institution recognized by Quebec’s Ministère de l’Éducation, du Loisir et du Sport (MELS).
Finding Accommodation in Montreal
Finding accommodations in Montreal is relatively easy and inexpensive when compared to other major North American cities. To get started on finding out how to search for an apartment in Montreal, please visit Concordia’s page on off-campus housing.
Depending on your internship placement dates, you may also be able to request on-campus accommodations. For more information, please visit Summer Accommodations.
Review the Concordia website before leaving home and make note of key information (building addresses, phone numbers, office opening hours, etc.) as you may not have internet access immediately when you arrive to Montreal.
Verify whether your internship will be conducted at the Sir George Williams (downtown campus) or Loyola campus so that you know where to go on your first day.
Once you know when you will be arriving, you should contact your supervising professor to schedule an appointment to meet her or him, visit the location where you will be conducting your research internship and coordinate any other remaining details.
Ensure you have some cash with you when you arrive to Montreal, as you may not be able to use your credit card everywhere.
Your supervisor will coordinate with Concordia International to get you access to his/her lab, email, shuttle bus, and libreray.
A Mitacs mentor who will get in touch with you to provide you with support during your internship in Canada.
Please note: Many university services (e.g. libraries, health services) and administrative offices will have different opening hours during the summer months. You should verify the specific department/office webpage ahead of time to make sure it is open when you plan to visit.
- Campus maps
- Visit Human Resources for office location and opening hours
- Visit Concordia International for office location and opening hours
- Information on how to set up and manage your Concordia Netname can be found here: Netname Account Management
- Information on how to connect to the Concordia wireless network can be hound here: Wifi
- See the Libraries page for information about library opening hours
- Visit the Concordia Co-op Bookstore where you can buy and/or sell new and used books/textbooks at a fair price
- Visit the Events page to find out about the many interesting events taking place at Concordia every day
- For information about Montreal’s public transportation system (bus & metro), including rates, maps, schedules, visit the STM Website