Electrical & computer engineering handbooks, encyclopedias, dictionaries
Below is a selection of the more important sources of information on Electrical & Computer Engineering available at Concordia Library. It includes material held in the Webster Library (WEB) on the Sir George Williams Downtown Campus, the Vanier Library (VAN) on the Loyola Campus and/or available online. Most materials are located in the Reference area (REF). This is not a complete list. Additional resources may be found by searching CLUES, the library catalogue.
- Comprehensive dictionary of electrical engineering
- IEEE standard dictionary of electrical and electronics terms
- International dictionary of abbreviations and acronyms in electronics, electrical engineering, computer technology, and information processing
- McGraw-Hill dictionary of scientific and technical terms
- Oxford Dictionary of computing ONLINE
- Wiley electrical and electronics engineering dictionary ONLINE
- Encyclopedia of applied physics:
- Encyclopedia of biomaterials and biomedical engineering
- Encyclopedia of computer science. 4th ed.
- Encyclopedia of computer science and technology (Annual)
- Encyclopedia of cryptography and security
- Encyclopedia of physical science and technology
- McGraw-Hill encyclopedia of science & technology (Access Science - online edition)
- Wiley electrical and electronics engineering dictionary
- Wiley encyclopedia of computer science and engineering
- Wiley encyclopedia of electrical and electronic engineering – 24 vol.
Handbooks can provide both background and detailed technical information. Diagrams, formulas, algorithms, specifications, charts, tables and statistics are featured in handbooks. A handbook’s index provides easy access to its contents. Current, updated handbooks are located in the reference collection while older editions are in the circulating collection. To check CLUES for specific handbooks, do a word search using a topic and the word "handbook", eg: WORD> engineer* handbook.
- Digital consumer technology handbook
- Electrical engineering handbook
- Electrical engineer's reference book
- Electrical installations handbook
- Electrical safety handbook
- Electromechanical design handbook
- Handbook of electrical design details
- Handbook of electrical engineering calculations
- National electrical code 2002
- Standard handbook for electrical engineers
- Standard handbook of engineering calculations
- Taguchi's quality engineering handbook
- Communications handbook 2nd ed.
- Desktop encyclopedia of telecommunications
- Digital signal processing : a practical guide for engineers and scientists
- Digital signal processing handbook
- Electro-optics handbook
- Encyclopedia of networking 3rd ed.
- Encyclopedia of RF and microwave engineering
- International dictionary of data communications
- Handbook of antennas in wireless communications
- Handbook of image and video processing
- Handbook of International electrical safety practices
- Handbook of RF and wireless technologies
- Handbook on satellite communications
- Handbook of sensor networks
- Handbook for sound engineers.
- Handbook of wireless networks and mobile computing
- Handbook of fiber optic data communications
- Loudspeaker handbook 2nd ed.
- Practial antenna handbook
- Radar technology encyclopedia
- Reference manual for telecommunications engineering. 3rd ed. – 2 vol.
- RFID handbook
- Routledge French dictionary of telecommunications
- Signal processing for mobile communications handbook
- Standard handbook of broadcast engineering
- Standard handbook of video and television engineering
- Telecommunications engineer's reference book. 2nd ed.
- Telecommunications handbook
- Telecommunications illustrated dictionary 2nd ed.
- Understanding digital signal processing
- Wiley encyclopedia of telecommunications – 5 vol.
- Wireless broadband handbook
- Circuits and filters handbook
- Complete guide to understanding electronics diagrams
- Digital consumer electronics handbook
- Electronic instrument handbook
- Electronics handbook. 2nd ed.
- Encyclopedia of electronic circuits
- Handbook of modern sensors
- IEEE standard dictionary of electrical and electronics terms
- Illustrated dictionary of electronics
- McGraw-Hill circuit encyclopedia
- MEMS handbook
- Modern dictionary of electronics.
- Power electronics handbook
- Robust electronic design reference book
- Sensor technology handbook
- TAB encyclopedia of electronics for technicians and hobbyists
- VLSI handbook
These resources enable you to identify articles from periodicals (journals) and conferences. They generally provide author and subject indexes, and some also have a classification system. Some databases provide access to online full-text articles, while other provide citations to the articles. Article citations contain the name of the periodical or conference, as well as the date of publication, volume, issue and page numbers.
In order to locate a periodical, check CLUES under Journal Title to see if the periodical is available at Concordia. To locate a conference, do a Word search in CLUES using words from the conference name. Periodicals and conferences that are not available at Concordia may be requested through Inter-Library Loans.
For more details on locating articles and using indexes consult how to find articles.
- ACM Digital Library
- Covers the publications of the Association for Computing Machinery (ACM) in a wide range of subjects including software engineering, networking, wireless communications, and information technology. ACM Digital Library provides online fulltext access to articles from ACM publications.
- Comprehensive international index with abstracts covering all engineering disciplines.
- IEEE Xplore
- Covers journals, conference proceedings, and standards of the Institute of Electrical and Electronic Engineers (IEEE) and the British-based Institution of Electrical Engineers (IEE). Fulltext content from 1988.
- Citations with abstracts to literature in physics, electrical engineering, electronics and computing and information technology. Includes technical journals, conference proceedings, books and reports. Contains Physics Abstracts, Electrical and Electronics Abstracts and Computer and Control Abstracts. Updated quarterly.
- Proquest Dissertations & Theses Full Text
- Citations with abstracts to over two million doctoral dissertations and masters theses. Full text available for many titles from 1997 onward.
- Web of Science
- A multidisciplinary database that indexes leading engineering journals. It is also a citation database that shows how often articles are cited.
If you are unable to locate the information you need, consult a Reference Librarian. The index or database you have chosen may not be the best source for your topic. There may be other resources or databases which are available, or are more appropriate, for the work you are doing and have not been listed above.
Guides provide an overview of the important resources in a discipline. Directories are lists of people, organizations, companies or products.
Standards are located in the first row of shelves in the Reference area. They are in alphanumeric order, filed by the name of the society or company which produces them. Some standards are listed in CLUES but many are not. Examples of some of major standard producing organizations are:
- Canadian Standards Association (CSA)
- American National Standards Institute (ANSI)
- American Society for Testing and Materials (ASTM)
- IEEE Standards Software Engineering