Candidates will receive an email confirmation when submitting their application online. However, only candidates selected for interviews will be contacted. Please allow one (1) working day from the time you send in your application to receive an email confirmation.
ANIMAL CARE FACILITIES
ANIMAL CARE TECHNICIAN (P2947)
Deadline: May 3, 2021
Repost. This posting represents a maternity leave replacement effective until August 31, 2022.
Reporting to the Manager, Animal Care Facilities, the incumbent is responsible for health monitoring, sanitation and maintenance of the Animal Care Facility in keeping with the Canadian Council on Animal Care (CCAC) guidelines.
- Care for and monitor the condition of animals; Maintain the animal facility to ensure optimal conditions for the animals.
- See to the general husbandry, housing and enrichment of breeding and experimental animals.
- Participate in post-approval monitoring processes through scheduled lab visits and by regularly monitoring animal health and well-being.
- Assist with and conduct, as appropriate, technical manipulations on rodents (injections, restraint, treatments, euthanasia).
- Provide training to research team members on procedures such as handling/restraint, injections, blood collection, euthanasia etc. Assist with giving workshops as these relate to rodent procedures.
- Maintain equipment, perform minor repairs and arrange for service and major repairs.
- Maintain inventory of consumables and other materials and place orders as appropriate.
- Ensure that routine observation and cleaning procedures are adhered to.
- Ensure compliance with safety regulations; Monitor and maintain Facility sanitation and upkeep by ensuring that proper procedures and guidelines are adhered to.
- Assist users on procedures and operation of equipment; Provide technical guidance and assistance concerning work methods and the use of equipment; Maintain records and apply quality assurance.
- Assist with Facility business operations.
- Perform other duties in support of the Facility.
- Diploma of Collegial Studies (three year technical DEC) in Animal Health Technology or title of Registered Laboratory Animal Technologist and at least two years of related experience.
- Knowledge of CCAC, WHIMIS, and other safety guidelines.
- Ability to perform skilled technical manipulations on rodents (injections, restraint, treatments, euthanasia).
- Ability to perform all routine animal care activities with little or no supervision.
- Basic knowledge (Level 3) of spoken and written English in order to communicate with the internal community.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to work in a team environment.
- Will require use of respiratory protection and enrolment in the University’s Respiratory Protection Program.
- Physical ability as attested by successful completion of medical evaluation to the University’s satisfaction. (e.g.: to lift, carry and move, without assistance, up to 23 kg (50lbs) and with assistance over 34kg (75lbs)).
$24.72 - $37.05 per hour
Interested applicants must submit a curriculum vitae with a covering letter by May 3, 2021. Please click on the How to Apply button below for further instructions.
IMPORTANT: The language and computer skills of short-listed candidates will be tested.
Concordia University is committed to Employment Equity and encourages applications from women, Aboriginal Peoples, visible minorities, ethnic minorities, and persons with disabilities.
- Working at Concordia
- Current opportunities
- Employment equity
- Immigration guide for faculty
- Current opportunities