Candidates will receive an email confirmation when submitting their application online. However, only candidates selected for interviews will be contacted. Please allow one (1) working day from the time you send in your application to receive an email confirmation.
TECHNOLOGY SANDBOX TECHNICIAN (C1965)
Deadline: July 23, 2021
This posting represents a one-year contract position. 35 hours work schedule; includes some evenings/weekends, depending on time of year/needs.
Reporting to the Associate University Librarian, Teaching and Learning, the incumbent provides consultation, support, and training for activities in the technology sandbox. They assist library patrons with the design and realization of their projects in the technology sandbox.
- Maintain the hardware and software infrastructure of the technology sandbox as well as the hours of operations.
- Maintain a log of activities in the technology sandbox including but not limited to inventory supplies, equipment use, sales, loans, and workshop outcomes.
- Assist on technical projects of varying scale under minimal supervision; demonstrate initiative in solving unexpected problems associated with projects and daily work.
- Establish a positive relationship with clients by listening to their questions and referring them to the appropriate tools, troubleshooting instructions or tutorial.
- Support activities that are led by instructors in the technology sandbox.
- Make suggestions for technical modifications to solve existing and anticipate future problems.
- Assist during tours for visitors and collaborators internal and external to Concordia.
- Implement appropriate technology upgrades and new purchases, as well as performing sourcing.
- Conduct equipment demonstrations and other technical training sessions.
- Perform other duties as required in support of the operation of the unit.
- Bachelor’s degree in a Computer Science, Engineering or a related field and two years of experience OR Diploma of Collegial Studies (three-year technical DEC) in a relevant field and four year of experience.
- Knowledge of a University environment and/or library setting is an asset.
- At least 1 year of experience required in a Makerspace/Fablab environment.
- Very good knowledge of microcontrollers such as Arduino, PIC, Atmel.
- Very good knowledge of one or more programming languages (e.g., Python, Java, C, C++, Max/MSP/Jitter).
- Experience with electronics tools and equipment such as soldering irons, regulated power supplies and multimeters
- Proven experience in troubleshooting and repairing FDM 3D printers.
- Experience with Virtual Reality (VR) hardware and applications.
- Experience with Raspberry Pi computers and Raspbian.
- Good knowledge (Level 4) of spoken and written English; basic knowledge (Level 3) of spoken French.
- Familiarity with Workplace Health and Safety Management System (WHMS) desirable.
- Strong interpersonal and customer service skills with the ability to work with a diverse group of people.
- Ability to excel in a team oriented, project-based work environment.
- Ability to effectively communicate advanced technical issues and practices to a wide range of skill levels, from beginners to advanced is crucial.
$50,335- $75,653 per annum
Interested applicants must submit a curriculum vitae with a covering letter by July 23, 2021. Please click on the How to Apply button below for further instructions.
IMPORTANT: The language and computer skills of short-listed candidates will be tested.