Candidates will receive an email confirmation when submitting their application online. However, only candidates selected for interviews will be contacted. Please allow one (1) working day from the time you send in your application to receive an email confirmation.
CONCORDIA LIBRARY – VANIER LIBRARY
PUBLIC SERVICES ASSISTANT (P5981)
Deadline: June 16, 2021
This posting represents a permanent full-time position: 35 hours per week, working evenings, weekends, and holidays as scheduled.
Under the general direction of the Head, Vanier Library, and under the supervision of the Public Services Supervisor, the incumbent will assist in exploring, testing, and troubleshooting circulation system settings in order to better meet user needs. They will assist users at Vanier Library Public Services service points, including reference assistance, and are responsible for the collection and reporting of public services statistics and for tasks associated with collection maintenance.
- Assist the Head in exploring the potential and performance of circulation system settings to better meet the needs of users.
- Assist with collection and reporting of public services statistics.
- Perform tasks associated with collection maintenance.
- Serve at the service desk, with courtesy and tact, according to established procedures, as scheduled and as needed.
- Perform functions related to circulation services, as assigned, according to established procedures.
- In the absence of the Supervisor, address the immediate supervisory needs of the unit.
- Assist the Head and the Supervisor in training staff.
- Add paper, toner, etc., to office equipment and the public printers.
- Promptly reports security incidents and building maintenance problems according to established procedures.
- Assist with carrying out special projects.
- Participate in library committee work, as assigned.
- Diploma in Library Technology, representing two (2) years of post-secondary training, and suitable library experience of six (6) months or more.
- A minimum of two (2) years of recent (within the last 5 years) experience in circulation-related processes, working with an automated circulation system, is required.
- Very good understanding of a library circulation system; knowledge of OCLC’s Worldshare Management Services (WMS) library services platform is an asset.
- Ability to search for and interpret records in an online library catalogue and library-related databases.
- Demonstrated knowledge for working in the Windows operating system and ability to manage electronic files; basic understanding of database structure and relationships.
- Good knowledge (Intermediate Level) of Microsoft Excel, Outlook for email communication and knowledge of Internet navigation skills.
- Evidence of ability to quickly learn new procedures and technologies, and to adapt to changing technologies; ability to solve problems.
- Evidence of interest in further personal development as it relates to the operations and services of the library.
- Excellent interpersonal skills; ability to work cooperatively with supervisors and co-workers.
- Good knowledge (Level 4) of spoken and written English; basic knowledge (Level 3) of spoken French.
- Aptitude for and interest in service-oriented work, evidence of ability to handle queries and complaints with courtesy, tact and good judgment.
- Ability to interpret policies and to resolve problems with flexibility and good judgment.
- Evidence of ability to organize work, to establish priorities, to meet deadlines, and to perform duties reliably, accurately and efficiently with minimal supervision; ability to shift from one activity to another, to multitask, and to cope with interruptions.
- Ability to work long periods of standing of at least 90 minutes. Moderate physical effort is required to push a book truck, and to handle books and computer equipment. Work requires long periods of sitting at a computer workstation.
$28.12 - $33.84 per hour
Interested applicants must submit a curriculum vitae with a covering letter by June 16, 2021. Please click on the How to Apply button below for further instructions.
IMPORTANT: The language and computer skills of short-listed candidates will be tested.