Candidates will receive an email confirmation when submitting their application online. However, only candidates selected for interviews will be contacted. Please allow one (1) working day from the time you send in your application to receive an email confirmation.
TECHNICIAN, CLINICAL ANALYSIS SUITE (P5979)
Deadline: September 16, 2021
Grade: CLASSE I
Repost. This posting represents a permanent part-time position: 21 hours per week.
Reporting to the Supervisor, Clinical Analysis Suite, the incumbent serves as a technical resource in ensuring the smooth operation and implementation of research projects. They assist in laboratory protocols preparation, training researchers, students, and staff in the operation of equipment housed in the suite, routine maintenance of equipment related to the research activities, and reports required repairs to the Supervisor. The incumbent will also take part in projects and execute experiments for researchers, as required.
- Assist with the operation of research and training labs housed in the Clinical Analysis Suite and develop optimized laboratory protocols and specialized technical tasks in fields such molecular biology, biochemistry, cell biology and immunology.
- Operate, maintain, and troubleshoot equipment and instrumentation in Clinical Analysis Suite; ensure proper functioning of the lab (maintenance, cleaning, calibration of equipment). Maintenance of equipment includes, but not limited to, pH meter, autoclave, CO2 incubators, flow cytometer and plate washer.
- Provide technical guidance and assistance concerning work methods, the use of equipment and techniques. Train new personnel on usage of the relevant equipment (pH meter, centrifuge, autoclave, biosafety cabinet, microscope, plate reader, flow cytometer, thermal cycler, urine analyzer, NanoDrop, Piccolo Xpress Analyzer, ChemiDoc Imager, Luminex).
- Ensure adherence to safety regulations, proper laboratory procedures and compliance documentation. Responsible for biohazard waste disposal (proper labeling of waste containers, requests of empty biohazard bins, waste and sharps containers when supplies are low and contacting EHS for chemical waste pick-up).
- Order and receive reagents, consumables and raw materials for the Clinical Analysis Suite; ensure that all supplies are available when required and manage inventory of supplies.
- Perform other duties in support of the Clinical Analysis Suite.
- Bachelor’s degree (BSc) in biochemistry or another related discipline and two to four years of relevant work experience.
- Master’s degree, an asset.
- Experience in the handling and processing of biological materials (human blood and saliva).
- Significant experience in immunoassay techniques (ELISA, Luminex assay).
- Experience in molecular biology (RT-PCR) and flow cytometry.
- Expertise with cell culture techniques and microscopy.
- Demonstrated success in the development and implementation of research protocols.
- Technical knowledge and equipment maintenance skills.
- Working knowledge of laboratory health and safety regulations and WHMIS.
- Good knowledge (Level 4) of spoken and written English in order to communicate effectively with stakeholders. Knowledge of spoken and written French, desirable.
- Good knowledge (Intermediate level) of Microsoft Word and Excel software.
- Excellent organization and interpersonal skills. High level of personal initiative, innovation and flexibility.
- Physical ability to set-up and take down assigned laboratory equipment, to maintain laboratory equipment and facilities, work in noisy environments and confined spaces, and to wear and work in personal protective equipment when required.
$ 28.25- $ 42.47 per hour
Interested applicants must submit a curriculum vitae with a covering letter by September 16, 2021. Please click on the How to Apply button below for further instructions.
IMPORTANT: The language and computer skills of short-listed candidates will be tested.