Candidates will receive an email confirmation when submitting their application online. However, only candidates selected for interviews will be contacted. Please allow one (1) working day from the time you send in your application to receive an email confirmation.
THE MEL HOPPENHEIM SCHOOL OF CINEMA – FACULTY OF FINE ARTS
DEPARTMENT ASSISTANT (P2434A-P2773)
Deadline: March 18, 2021
This posting represents two full-time permanent positions.
Reporting to the Department Administrator, the incumbent assists in the daily operation of the Department by providing information and assistance to students (current and potential), and general administrative support. He/she serves as a front-line resource, communication and referral person for students and faculty, providing information on the Department's policies and operations.
- Provide frontline student support and assist with recruitment initiatives; Create and prepare correspondence, documents, forms, reports using appropriate office information systems; Maintain system of files and archives.
- Provide administrative support for the following student affairs and student-related administrative functions: admissions, transfer of program, registration, advising, timetables, grades, student requests and student awards. Support on-line admissions and create and prepare database reports, as required; Receive and distribute student assignments.
- Support graduate students and programs and coordinate and process Teaching and Research Assistants at Concordia (TRAC) contracts and graduate awards.
- Manage schedule of Department Chair, handle departmental mail, manage phone system, process key requests and after-hours access, book meeting rooms, order office supplies and look after photocopy, fax and scanning services; Organize and maintain bulletin boards.
- Provide administrative support to departmental and program committees; schedule meetings, prepare agendas, documents and minutes (as required) for committees including School Council, Steering Committee, Part-time Hiring Committee, Department Curriculum Committee, Department Personnel Committee, Department Tenure Committee, among others. Under direction of the Administrator, assure timely and complete communication of committee decisions.
- Maintain department website, assist in creation and compilation of promotional material, maintain contact and media lists and learn and apply new software as required.
- Support department budget processes; administer class budgets and post operating budget expenses into a database, in accordance with internal policies and procedures.
- Verify ledgers and create and prepare up-to-date database reports and summaries for the Department Administrator on a monthly basis.
- Process curriculum change dossiers as directed by the Administrator and liaise with the Office of the Associate Dean, Faculty of Fine Arts, as required.
- Perform other duties as required in support of the unit.
- Diploma of Collegial Studies (2 year pre-university DEC) in a field pertinent to the primary responsibilities and two to four years of related experience.
- Knowledge of academic regulations, deadlines, and policies in the Faculty of Fine Arts and/or the University is an asset.
- Demonstrated experience and/or keen interest in supporting students through the academic cycle.
- Good knowledge (Level 4) of spoken and written English in order to communicate effectively, providing information to faculty, staff, students, and the external community; good knowledge (Level 4) of spoken French in order to provide information and respond to enquiries, and basic knowledge (Level 3) of written French to compose simple documents and correspondence.
- Good knowledge (Intermediate Level) of Microsoft Word (design, create, and format elaborate correspondence, forms, and reports); basic knowledge of Excel (create and modify spreadsheets),
- Approachable (demonstrates empathy, patience), composed (is a calming influence in difficult situations) and adept at intercultural communication.
- Proven ability to take initiative to solve problems, work effectively under pressure, and prioritize tasks in order to meet deadlines.
- Detail-oriented, highly organized, and exceptional communication skills (written and interpersonal).
- Able to oscillate between duties in a busy, shared office environment, and to work autonomously with minimal supervision.
$27.41 - $32.98 per hour
Interested applicants must submit a curriculum vitae with a covering letter by March 18, 2021. Please click on the How to Apply button below for further instructions.
IMPORTANT: The language and computer skills of short-listed candidates will be tested.
Concordia University is committed to Employment Equity and encourages applications from women, Aboriginal Peoples, visible minorities, ethnic minorities, and persons with disabilities.