Candidates will receive an email confirmation when submitting their application online. However, only candidates selected for interviews will be contacted. Please allow one (1) working day from the time you send in your application to receive an email confirmation.
UNIVERSITY COMMUNICATIONS SERVICES (UCS)
COMMUNICATIONS ADVISOR (P5918)
Deadline: July 21, 2020
Reporting to the Director, Institutional Communications, UCS, the incumbent is responsible for enhancing the visibility of institutional priority projects and some of those stemming from the VP, Services sector as well as other units needing communications support. He/she provides technical expertise in communications and is actively involved in the promotion of key messages through social media outlets.
- Plan, develop and implement internal and external communications strategies to support institutional priority projects and some of those stemming from the VP, Services sector as well as other units needing communications support (e.g., Financial services, Student Accounts, etc.)
- Act as liaison in dealing with specialized media through outreach, story pitching, and by handling and responding to media requests on timely topics; organize and coordinate media events and press conferences in cooperation with UCS public affairs as required.
- Prepare news releases and information for the media, and distributes information by hard copy or electronically; draft news briefs such as appointment notices, research awards and other items of general interest for distribution to external media.
- Transmit information regarding the institutional priorities via social media networks, identify and engage with social media influencers.
- Plan, coordinate and supervise the communications aspects of events (within the institutional areas) that promote and enhance the University’s profile.
- Provide strategic counsel in matters of communications and public relations; prepare and approve all required communications, such as speeches, press releases and other official priority-related communications; organize preparatory material for media interviews.
- Write news stories and articles for Concordia’s NOW e-newsletter and other print and web publications.
- Respond in writing to requests for information about the priority areas from external sources, including members of the general public.
- Undertake other tasks, including administrative ones, as required by the Director, Institutional Communications.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Communications, Journalism, English, or a related field and two to four years of experience in communications.
- Experience working in a university environment is an asset.
- Full understanding of social media platforms.
- Very good knowledge (Level 5) of spoken and written English and French (Able to and write fluently and persuasively on sensitive and complex topics in both languages).
- Demonstrated skills in interviewing, writing, editing, and proofreading.
- Superior communications, writing and editing skills.
- Proven ability to translate technical information into language understood by the layperson.
- Strong interpersonal skills. Ability to work independently and as part of a team.
- Thrives on working under pressure with tight deadlines.
- Demonstrated organizational and project-management skills, with a track record for meeting tight deadlines, providing proactive responses, and performing well under pressure.
- Good knowledge (Intermediate Level) of Word (able to do mail merges), Excel (able to create graphics using data in spreadsheets and incorporate graphics into other programs), and PowerPoint (able to create template).
- Knowledge of Adobe Creative Suite desirable.
- Excellent problem-solving skills; developed sense of innovation and entrepreneurship.
- Ability to work outside normal working hours when required.
$ 72,783.89- $ 86,940.11 per annum
Interested applicants must submit a curriculum vitae with a covering letter by July 21, 2020. Please click on the How to Apply button below for further instructions.
IMPORTANT: The language and computer skills of short-listed candidates will be tested.
Concordia University is committed to Employment Equity and encourages applications from women, Aboriginal Peoples, visible minorities, ethnic minorities, and persons with disabilities.
- Working at Concordia
- Current opportunities
- Employment equity
- Immigration guide for faculty
- Current opportunities