Candidates will receive an email confirmation when submitting their application online. However, only candidates selected for interviews will be contacted. Please allow one (1) working day from the time you send in your application to receive an email confirmation.
DEPARTMENT OF EDUCATION
SERVICE ASSISTANT (P1979)
Deadline: March 5, 2020
Reporting to the Department Administrator, the incumbent provides frontline service and administrative functions to ensure the smooth operation of the department. He/she acts as a resource person to faculty and students regarding general departmental/university information.
- Respond to in-person, email and telephone inquiries for routine information concerning the department and its academic programs and admissions process/requirements; redirect inquiries, as appropriate.
- Prepare and process key requests (maintain invoices and key request log); assign Part-Time (PT) members office space and a filing cabinet; maintain PT office assignments.
- Provide general information in response to student requests and inquiries; distribute forms to students; screen and redirect students to staff, as appropriate.
- Inform program students on procedure to complete police check form; ensure form is completed accurately and provide signed forms to UPA/GPA.
- Maintain room bookings related to classes/events held in the department facilities as well as make-up days and exams; confer for special requests and inform/resolve conflicts with supervisor.
- Maintain and distribute all department and University forms to faculty, staff and students.
- Sort and distribute mail to faculty, staff, and students in the department mailboxes; maintain mailbox listing; distribute course evaluations to PT faculty.
- Maintain professional appearance of lobby area and update bulletin boards and documents displayed; post PT postings and seniority list, per CUFPA CA.
- Report building issues to facilities & services; maintain logs and inform the Technical Office.
- Maintain photocopiers (paper supply and services); place service calls and maintain log; request and maintain photocopy codes for new faculty and staff.
- Register students for the COPTA exam; provide information related to exam procedures; refer students to TESL/ESL UPA, as appropriate.
- Provide ESL students with general procedures to register for CONCEPT test and information on ESL courses; refer students to TESL/ESL UPA, as appropriate.
- Order and maintain office stationery supplies; purchase and monitor material for office equipment (toners, paper, repairs).
- Submit and disseminate class cancellation information.
- Collect and maintain electronic course outline repository.
- Maintain department telephone directory.
- Perform routine administrative duties as requested by the Department Administrator and assist the Department Administrator, as required.
- Assist with maintaining departmental records management process and file structure (paper/digital/emails); assist faculty with storage of course materials.
- Attestation of Collegial Studies (ACS) and two to four years of front-line service handling multiple telephone lines, preferably work experience in an academic office environment.
- Good knowledge (intermediate level) of Word (to format documents, letters, and forms) and Excel (to create and modify spreadsheets).
- Good knowledge (Level 4) of spoken and written English in order to communicate effectively; provide information to faculty, staff, students, and the external community; compose correspondence and provide general administrative support.
- Basic knowledge of spoken French (Level 3) in order to provide general information and to respond to in-person and telephone queries; knowledge of written French desirable.
- Excellent organizational and proven ability to multi-task, to work well under pressure, to prioritize tasks and take initiative.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills, with the ability to work in a fast-paced environment.
- Proven ability to work effectively both independently and as part of a team.
- Approachability (is sensitive and patient with others), composure (is a calming influence in a difficult situation) and culturally sensitive.
*Please note this is a Pay Equity designated position PE261-14A and that the associated salary range is $25.27 to $30.00 per hour.
Interested applicants must submit a curriculum vitae with a covering letter by March 5, 2020. Please click on the How to Apply button below for further instructions.
IMPORTANT: The language and computer skills of short-listed candidates will be tested.
Concordia University is committed to Employment Equity and encourages applications from women, Aboriginal Peoples, visible minorities, ethnic minorities, and persons with disabilities.
- Working at Concordia
- Current opportunities
- Employment equity
- Immigration guide for faculty
- Current opportunities