Candidates will receive an email confirmation when submitting their application online. However, only candidates selected for interviews will be contacted. Please allow one (1) working day from the time you send in your application to receive an email confirmation.
SUPERVISOR, TECHNICAL & MECHANICAL (P5893)
Deadline: December 17, 2019
Reporting to the Property and Operations Manager, the incumbent oversees the supervision of the staff, the budgets, and the maintenance activities of the electrical, mechanical and architectural infrastructure and activities. He/she acts as a resource for the trade workers under his/her supervision, manages budgets and performs Human Resources duties.
- Supervise daytime personnel in a unionized environment to ensure continuity of critical services with a focus on customer satisfaction and resource optimization.
- Assist in hiring new employees, coordinate training activities, coaching and succession planning; prioritize and assign work as necessary; evaluate work performance of the employees and make recommendations.
- Oversee the planning, scheduling and organizing system interruptions with efforts made to minimize the impact on building occupants and departmental services.
- Assist in the continuous development and administration of the preventive and corrective maintenance program; prioritize escalated work orders with group leaders and employees to ensure quality and timely completion.
- Provide requirements for service, and supply contracts for sustaining base building services in collaboration with the Property Manager/Operations and the Contract Manager; maintain close collaboration with the Technical, Asset and Commissioning Coordinators and provide project support as required.
- Responsible for recommending and implementing changes requested by external agencies such as the Regie du Batiment (RBQ), CSST, and municipal fire departments, Hydro-Quebec, Emploi-Quebec or by internal units.
- Establish guidelines & best practices for conservation initiatives; act as a liaison for any programs and initiatives as well as to coordinate any systems shutdowns / service interruptions.
- Recommend new technologies and maintenance standards to improve equipment performance; serve as technical advisor to mechanical / electrical and architectural employees as well as a support to Project Managers during the initiating, planning, execution, monitoring/control, and close out phases of a project.
- Maintain and administer budget allocations; cost recovery, salary and nonsalary lines as well as preparing budget projections; initiate capital investment project requests through the deferred maintenance program and oversee critical asset life cycles.
- Evaluate needs, prepare requisitions for materials, and contracted services; actively participate in the procurement process.
- Serve as a member of University committees such as the Central Advisory Health & Safety Committee. Represent the Property Manager on committees as required.
- Work in collaboration with the environmental health and safety department to provide support and training to operational personnel; coordinate resources to support emergency and contingency plans.
- Respond to incidences as required; act as onsite resource, communicate progress, and return to service activities. Prepare incident reports with a focus on affected areas, root cause, actions taken and lessons learned.
- Diploma of collegial studies (three year technical DEC) in Building Systems or in a field related to the primary responsibilities and over seven years of related work experience (contract administration, administrative duty, etc.)
- Stationary Engineman, Class 3 in heating and Class A in refrigeration licenses.
- A minimum of two years supervisory experience, as a functional lead, Team Lead or in training and development of employees; proven ability to supervise using sound principles and practices in a unionized environment
- Strong knowledge of mechanical equipment and building management systems is required to direct and control the operation and maintenance of plumbing, refrigeration and gas systems
- Good working knowledge and understanding of building infrastructure management systems for electrical, HVAC, energy and architectural systems
- Good knowledge (Level 4) of spoken English and French; basic knowledge (Level 3) of written English and French in order to communicate with the University Community.
- Demonstrated ability to manage budgets, and execute preventive and corrective maintenance programs following best practices
- Strong Project Management skills; excellent organization and prioritization skills, with a demonstrated ability to bring tasks to successful completion on budget and within stipulated timelines
- Good working knowledge of Maintenance Management Systems (e.g. Maximo),basic knowledge of Word (able to input text), and good knowledge (Intermediate Level) of Excel (able to format spreadsheets and do simple formulas for budgeting purposes)
- Good working knowledge of Health and Safety rules and regulations
- Superior leadership, organizational agility, interpersonal and communication skills in order to build strong teams and in providing quality service to internal and external customers
- Action oriented; effective and efficient in responding to events as they arise
- While this position has a daytime regular schedule, it requires the incumbent to be On-Call which can lead to work extended shifts, including evenings, weekends and holidays as necessary to meet event needs and in the case of emergencies
$79,080.00 - $91,714.00 per annum
Interested applicants must submit a curriculum vitae with a covering letter by December 17, 2019. Please click on the How to Apply button below for further instructions.
IMPORTANT: The language and computer skills of short-listed candidates will be tested.
Concordia University is committed to Employment Equity and encourages applications from women, Aboriginal Peoples, visible minorities, ethnic minorities, and persons with disabilities.
- Working at Concordia
- Current opportunities
- Employment equity
- Immigration guide for faculty
- Current opportunities