Candidates will receive an email confirmation when submitting their application online. However, only candidates selected for interviews will be contacted. Please allow one (1) working day from the time you send in your application to receive an email confirmation.
INSTRUCTIONAL AND INFORMATION TECHNOLOGY SERVICES (IITS)
MANAGER, DIGITAL RESEARCH INFRASTRUCTURE SOLUTIONS (P1917)
Deadline: July 9, 2021
Reporting to the Director, User Services, the incumbent is responsible for the management of IT support, consultation, and integration of technical environments within the research space as well as for digital research infrastructure (DRI) technical environments pertaining to advanced research computing (ARC), data management (DM) and research software (RS). They are also responsible for the overall customer satisfaction responsibility for research IT services.
- In conjunction with the Director, establish strategic IT direction within the University’s research space and oversee implementation of short and long-term plans including service development involving multiple cross-disciplinary stakeholders.
- Evaluate the use of technological solutions and realize service evolution and improvement within the research space. Interface with other IT groups and the research community designing the overall research-computing environment
- Manage a group of IT specialists toward the achievement of the above mandate. Within the research space, define and implement operating procedures and the use of IT Service Management (ITIL) and IT Asset Management best practices. Manage operational priorities and control quality (process and product).
- Meet with clients to discuss and consult on expressed needs, system requirements and specifications. Act as an IT interface with the research community to ensure effective communications.
- Lead technology standardization and acquisition initiatives and manage proactively maintenance & support contracts.
- Participate in the development and implementation of information security best practices. Maximize efficiency of central IT services as it pertains to supporting the needs of the research community.
- Hire and train human resources. Manage employee performance and productivity. Develop staff personal development and training plans. Provide support and direction for personnel matters and motivation.
- Represent the University and/or IITS on internal and external committees.
- Undertakes other tasks and leads projects as required by the department.
- Bachelor’s Degree, with preference given to a degree in Computer Science or in a related field with experience in computing clusters and/or digital research infrastructure with five years of pertinent experience, of which at least two are in a supervisory capacity.
- Experience with applied research technologies, software development, and data management.
- Unix/Linux background.
- Demonstrated project management experience in technology deployment projects.
- Broad understanding of advanced environment monitoring, management tools, research technologies and how they can be applied to solve higher-education problems.
- Demonstrated planning, organizational and decision-making skills, coupled with the ability to establish and respond to priorities.
- Experience in implementing IT Services Management (ITIL) best practices.
- Good knowledge (Level 4) of spoken and written English and good knowledge (Level 4) of spoken French.
- Excellent knowledge of and experience working within committees and group environments.
- Superior interpersonal skills with a strong client-service orientation.
- Proven planning and organizing skills and result-orientation.
- Proven team leader and team builder, with ability to motivate people and foster a positive team environment.
- Strong analytical, design and problem-solving skills.
- Strong process and work organization rigor and discipline.
- Experience in supporting and working with researchers and research projects is an asset.
$98,326.00 - $114,045.00 per annum
Interested applicants must submit a curriculum vitae with a covering letter by July 9, 2021. Please click on the How to Apply button below for further instructions.
IMPORTANT: The language and computer skills of short-listed candidates will be tested.